Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a brake upgrade that I read someone
did. You get rotors from a 300zx and calipers
from a 280zx for front and 280zx rear rotors and calipers. My problem is you need to trim the 300zx
rotor in the radis to reduce the diamiter to get
the caliper on the bigger disk.

If anyone has done this or knows how they
did it please let me know.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have done this upgrade on my turbo 240Z. Email me and I can try to help you with any questions you have. The 300ZX rotors will need to be turned down about 1/8. The front takes some machining to make it work. Use the 240Z hubs w/the 300ZX rotors. Drill out the caliper mounting holes in the spindle/strut. Make a spacer that will center the caliper on the rotor. Thats it. The rear is cake if you have the right parts. There is a caliper mounting bracket found on certian Maximas that will be a direct bolt on. It is as easy as bolting it together. Good Luck!!!

Ian

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
> I am doing a brake upgrade that I read
> someone
> did. You get rotors from a 300zx and
> calipers
> from a 280zx for front and 280zx rear rotors
> and calipers. My problem is you need to trim
> the 300zx
> rotor in the radis to reduce the diamiter to
> get
> the caliper on the bigger disk.

> If anyone has done this or knows how they
> did it please let me know.

Lui,
You can also do the Toyota 4x4 upgrade on the front. Use calipers from a 79-83 Toyota 4x4 pick-up. They are a direct swap with your existing calipers, no modifications to anything except trimming your dust shield a little to allow for the larger calipers. They have 4 pucks instead of 2. Braking power is hugely increased
and you can use stock size rotors, vented, cross-drilled, whatever.
I assume you have at least 15 wheels on your car. You'll have to have at least that with the 300ZX conversion and the Toyota conversion is marginal on 14. I did the Toyota conversion using 14 wheels and had only about 1/16th of an inch of clearance between the brake assembly and the wheel. I now am running 16 wheels.
I also assume that you are planning on racing your Z? For one time panic stops the drums on the rear will do as good or better job than the ZX rear disk brakes. The drum brakes actually have more swept area than the disks. The drums, however, don't disapate heat as well as the disks so they start to fade after a couple stops and then the disks do the better job. If you are just planning on your car as a daily driver - put your money elsewhere for a while rather than modifying the rear brakes. Also, if you're going to disks on the rear you really should replace your master cylinder with the ZX style. It has larger oil capacity for the rear.
Hope this helps.
Merry Christmas,
Phantom

·
Registered
361 Posts
Here is another option. From what you wrote,I am assuming you read the article from the IZCC page, on the ford V8 conversion page. Stephen Moffett worte a post to the mailing lists about his conversion to vented rotors on the front. I posted it on my web page a while ago. Just follow the link below and look to the vented rotor conversion page.
-Bob Hanvey

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.