ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gas tank was leaking, so I took it out and brought it to a radiator place. They went through it and sealed up the leaks. The problem is that they also welded one of the vent tubes shut. The guy said that it was already sealed and that he just resealed it (he said something about it being a common practice on z's because there were so many vent tubes). Is this true??????

I am kinda worried because after I run it for a while, I hear a hissing sound coming out of my evaporator tank and I've checked all my hose clamps back there to make sure they're tight. I'm worried it's really building up pressure and that it is dangerous.

Help!!!

BTW. This site is great!!! You guys seem really knowledgeable. I'm glad I found it!

Ruth from Atlanta, GA

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>Evaporative Emission Control System</b>

Hi Ruth...

I just was looking in my book and the diagram shows the filler tube with a line leading to the vapor liquid separator and also a vent line going from the tank to the vapor liquid separator. The system is a sealed system... I would check all the hoses to and from the flow guide valve. Blow some compressed air in them and see if there is any pressure at the end. From what I can tell, it is possible to get by with having only one vent hose on the filler tube... I just have never done it. By the way, the flow guide valve closes when the engine is off.

Sounds like you have turned a wrench or two... I think thats cool... Tell me about your car... what do have.

Dennis

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
It is important, depending on which one he welded shut. "Common Practice on Z cars!", give me a break. The guy is full of sh&$. You can actually pressurize the tank from the fuel return line. Trust me, I know from experience. I was driving down the road, after taking off some of the vent lines, and fuel started gushing out of my gas cap all over my car. Not good! Which line was it?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gotta wonder about that myself. also, due to the odd shape of the tank you'll never get a full tank of gas if air gets trapped. If he plugged the hose on the higher "bump" side you're gonna lose a few gallons capacity

·
Registered
743 Posts
Evaporator Tank??

What is the porpose of the expansion tank? Aren't most american cars just vented to the gas fill cup? I'm doind a complete redo on my car's interior and I was going to look into the possibility of bypassing the evaporator tank to make a little more room for " Creativity" inside. Is this a bad idea?

SpencZ

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RE: Evaporator Tank??

fuel tank has got to vent somewhere, with the expansion tank I think it ultimatly vents to the intake manifold. Besides your car will probably reek of gas unless it's sealed

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RE: Evaporative Emission Control System

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the help. Umm, is there a way to answer to people individually on this thing? When I was looking around near the evaporator tank, I remembered that I didn't have a proper fitting to seal off that fitting, (the one that used to lead to the sealed-off vent tube-that one is on the top of the gas tank) and I had used a piece of saran wrap with a hose clamp- duh! So I got a rubber cap that fit well, but I am still wondering if there is supposed to be any pressure at all in the evaporator tank, because there was obviously a little. I still need to try Dennis' suggestion of the compressed air thing- that is a really good idea.
Dennis, I have a 1972 240z. It is pretty much stock. I've had it for 4 years. The body's got a little rust, but it isn't bad and I am dying to get all the rust cut out and new metal welded, but I gotta get some bucks first. I think it's been refurbished before I got it. Not a great job, though. What's your car like?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.