ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A scene in the movie features our man Tom in a black 250 GT type vehicle. Can't really tell if it is a kit car Z or the real thing?

By the way, did you see the movie? What did you think about it? (I'm still scratching my pointy little head trying to figure out whether or not I liked it.)

IMHO, Cameron Diaz rocks! But several of my friends think she is skanky. She da BOMB!

· Registered
613 Posts
Re: This was supposed to be Banter & Chat

I think it would be impossible to be able to tell if it was a kit car or not, but i ahve to admit, i never drool over cars, but man was I drooling! I was there with my best friend and she was not impressed at my gawking of the car, i don't i had shut up about it the whole time. Its a great movie though, now as for car again, as i said its impossible to tell, who knows, either way you have an awesome car on the screen hehe. As for Diaz, she is overrated, and her movie charlies angels blew goats, and i'm **** glad she did not play that big of a part in Vanilla Sky. And oh yes, this should definitly be a Banter and Chat post, we both should know better.

-Emir

· Registered
115 Posts
I think it was first generation Z, for two reasons. first, there were only like 35 250 GTO's made, and they all would cost about 8 million or so today, so finding someone that had one would be tough, and finding someone that would let someone else drive it would be tougher. I have a feeling that people who have millions of dollars to drop on one car would be as excited as we would to have their car in a movie. Secondly, I saw a documentary on Ferrari once on speedvision, and the sound of a ferrari V12 is fairly distinctive....really gets the blood going, makes the heart beat a little faster, and the sound in the movie didn't sound like it...but it could have just been some sound guy putting a random throaty engine noise in to accompany the scene....who knows. either way....god that was a cool car. And I'm sure all the people that actually own GTO's will be holding onto them all that much tighter now.

· Registered
1,779 Posts
Banter & Chat, Huh???...well let's take this into "Tech Discussion Forum" by discussing some tell-tale differences between the 250 GTO & the early Z...look at the dash layout (if you can see it)...lots of humps along the top of the Z...one big one in front of the driver on the Ferrari...the windows are different too...somewhat taller on the Ferrari...the rear hatch on the Ferrari is a separate hatch below the
rear window (the glass does not lift up)...Ferrari gas filler is at the upper left of the
little "hatch"...usually at the normal filler location on the "look-a-likes"...often (not always, tho) the replicas have wrong-size/shape "driving lights"...there are at least two molds out there being used to produce replicas (that I know of)...one of these has the "brake cooling ducts" smaller than the original GTO...the "mesh" inside the main opening in the nose is a special grill on the Ferrari...replicas often use
hardware grill cloth...yes, folks...they are different...and hard to spot the difference
since the replicas are pretty accurate...very accurate, actually...so much so that
Enzio sued one of the manufacturers of an early replica...I looked into converting my 78 into a GTO a few years back...it was a "Rhino" conversion...a rebody with no other modifications would run about 10K, if I remember right, but the thought of
a fender-bender and how the appearance attracts people (good & bad)...and the idea of some punk driving it for the thrill, then trashing it...plus some serious insurance cost "adjustments"...so I still have my 280...like someone already pointed out: at about 8 million bucks not many owners would trust their 250 GTO to a movie crew!!!!! ... and even at 10K plus I wouldn't either... :eek:)

· Registered
82 Posts
That car is definitely a Z Replica. As Z-Fan stated, you can tell from the windows. An original GTO doesn't have a chrome window frame as Z's do. There is no mistaking the frames in the movie. Recently I look long and hard at the GTO kits that are on the market. You can make a real monster if you care to. I have also seen that some people have installed Ferrari style dashboards in their conversions so that is not always an easy tipoff. Most people have droped V-8s into their GTOs and tricked out just about every suspension part you can.

· Registered
613 Posts
Haha some people are just going crazy over this. Well case and point, I never really looked into the GTO's too much, i like them, but i dream realistically, so the windows are lower on a GTO compared to the z, and the humps on the dash, i should have known that one, the gas filler is another good one too. Awesome info, but i would like to make a GTO conversion myself one day, but it will be a little while until then, great input.

-Emir

· Registered
268 Posts

· Registered
115 Posts
Re: Did it look like this?

wow, that list of all the ferraris is amazing. I looked through there and noticed that the guy who does a lot of shows for speedvision, Alain De Cadenet has owned about 6 of them around 71-72.......ferrari fan you think?

· Registered
1,779 Posts
Re: Did it look like this?

Speedracer...you make probably the best point of us all...each Ferrari 250 GTO was a custom-made race car...and they are different in details...so to say one represents ALL of them is a bit presumptious, to say the least...and yes, I too would love to have a "replica" ("kit car" sounds so...well..."cheap")...I recall the folks at Rhino (in Tejas...they made many "replicas) insisting their cars were...
"rebodied Z-Cars"...no sham...no fake "now you can have a 250 GTO!!!",,,good
people...I think they eventually sold the molds...

· Registered
268 Posts
You are right on the money Z-Fan

Jim Simpson owned Blue Ray Engineering in Texas and sold the kit as a "Rhino." Jim is a great guy and I bought many of my parts (including real Ferrari parts) from him. He moved to WA but is still in business http://www.simpsondesign.net/ however, he no longer sells the Rhino.

Bill sold the molds to Bill Cummings who formed Stable Autoworks. Unfortunately, Bill passed away and his widow sold the molds to Jeff Krekeler who still calls his business Stable Autoworks http://www.zcarkits.com/

And yes, I prefer "Replica" as well. BTW, if you are interested, there are a few additional photos and a write-up of my Replica over at Hybrid Z - click on featured cars and it's hard to miss http://www.hybridz.org/main.htm

Anyway, I haven't seen Vanilla Sky so I'll have to pick up a copy, enjoy the movie and see if I can figure out what it is. Thanks for the info guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.