Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I started hearing valve trane clicking
noises,so I did a hot clearance check and everything checked out perfect.I've isolated
it to a single cylnder but still can't seem to
ajust out the clicking.Could it be a plugged
cam lobe oil gally or it just might be time to
move the cam sprocket to it's #2 dowel position,
to take out the slack??Any informed suggestions??

·
Registered
529 Posts
Make very sure that the cam is not starving for oil. If so, your cam will be destroyed in no time. has the head been rebuilt? If so, many times, rebuilders will grind the valve seats too deep. This throws off the valvetrain geometry and will cause difficulty getting the valves adjusted properly. Moving the cam timing to #2 position will not affect the tension on the chain. The only way to increase timing chain tension is to install new chain and tensioners. Make sure that the cam is the correct height in relation to the crank. If it is too close, the chain will be loose and the cam will be retarded. The only way to know this is to measure the thickness of the head, provided the block has not been decked. I can't remember the thickness of the stock head, but it is in Frank Honsowetz's book, How to Build and Modify Your Nissan OHC Engine.
BTW, changing the cam sprocket's position will only advance the valve timing. Good luck!!!

Ian

> Recently I started hearing valve trane
> clicking
> noises,so I did a hot clearance check and
> everything checked out perfect.I've isolated
> it to a single cylnder but still can't seem
> to
> ajust out the clicking.Could it be a plugged
> cam lobe oil gally or it just might be time
> to
> move the cam sprocket to it's #2 dowel
> position,