ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok well im not new to this website or any of the most common z websites either andi always search before i would post , i have looked into this but cant find a real answer to my question ,i just swapped a vg30et into my 88 2+2 ,now i was boosting too high because of an inacurate boost gauge and crappy boost controller , long story short i blew a head gasket and have pulled the heads out .

Now i was thinking why dont i put a bit wilder cam in it while the heads are out since the are cheap and it will give me more umphh, now the question is if i am going to go with an MSA cam (not sure wich one yet )
and going to keep the stock rev limiter so no over revving ,now will the stock valve springs hold and not float at at the stock rpms , the jwt spring set is $120 so that would bring the cam upgrade up to $300 wich is not very appealing to me if i could i would realley want to keep the stock valve spring or maybe even buy new stock springs from nissan wich i dont now how much they are but i dont know , any feedback will be apreciated .

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Stock valve springs will float at around 6500 rpm, youre stock upper intake has a hard time flowing at higher rpms, so a hotter cam is sort of a waste until you figure that problem out. Just do both to answer youre question.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no see i blew the head gasket because of detonation i just ordered a new spearco brand boost gauge (i dindt know they made boost gauges ) , also its a turbo motor not an n/a ,and i know that they float at 6500 but since i am not planning anytime soon to go over that i dont know if the higher lift would have an effect on the springs and the rebound of the spring or something, things i wouldnt have much expierence since this is my first teardown .

alkso i am planning on doin a port match to have a little better flow i gues i have everything to do it amd it doesnt seem like a bad idea ,i have the norm air filter, exshaust with no cat , and cheapo spring loaded ball type boost controller, i am also planning on an intercooler sometime soon as soon as i find some bargain on ebay , and also cant you make a bov to work with our motors without having much bogging down that i read so much about , i know they have the adjusting screw in the back so im sure something can be done.

hey, and by the way hybrid i am a big fan of your work love your setup ,its almost as if i amn talkin to a legend ,but it seems like you are building it for weekend cruising or show (taking off your a/c and what not ) i would want one except for the fact that you took off the a/c ilive in florida and i need the a/c so it is impossible but maybe an intake manifold like youre's if you make more of them and sell them, and a setup like isickz's with the wastegate on one side and maybe one of those jwt ripoffs would have similar effect even tho i have read most of maximum boost by corky bell and noticed that the wastegate layout wasnt the most efficient maybe something to absorb and perfectionize, my goal is for 400 -500 tops to wheels and put it to to the ground and maybe try to daily drive for a while tilli get enough cash to buy a four door semi lux , i am only eighteen at the moment and hoping to have my setup done in two years or so i already have the tt pump and the fuel rail and now thinking of which way to go jwt ecu or i heard of this thing called a remulator wich you can program it all out for yourself seems good value but hard to master asnd know what you are doing, i am also looking into a wideband o2 so i wont have the problem again of detonation and also later on to properly tune , haha this a funny story , when i just finished my turbo swap about two months ago my dad drove it and he owns his own "sports" car a porsche 911sc targa which he thinks is the best just because he owns it , wel he was very impressed wuith and two weeks ago he found somebody on ebay seling a 3.3 liter turbo motor from a 930 of the same generation since the guy owns a shop in miami my dad emailed him about swapping it in to his car so now my dad is dropping close to 8g's to have a turbo targa and i think his expierence with my car had something to do with that decision , when he told me about it i laughed and told him that with 8g"s i could build my motor and make a setup to oblilerate maybe even a newer twinturbo 440hp porsche .just thought it was kind of funny that our grand touring cars can put newer high speed chick magnets to shame and still have money left over to make the more beautiful than they arleady are .

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Quote:
just thought it was kind of funny that our grand touring cars can put newer high speed chick magnets to shame and still have money left over to make the more beautiful than they arleady are .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Youre right, I say that EVERYTIME a waste a new Corvette!!
Head porting is a wonderful mod, as well as the cams. If you put in a high lift cam, Performance valvesprings are a must. But agian, you will not have NEAR the benifit from the head work untill you can get an increased amount of air to them(intake valves). The upper intake on Z31 is a serious crutch to making power. once you fix that problem, you will be able to supply the heads with ALL the air they need to make to head porting, and cams worthwhile.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
k thanks for the support hybrid ,really apreciate it, so let me see if got this correct , i was thinking of the msa cams wich have a lift of .420 and stock is .385 would you consider that a high lift cam ? , also if read correct youre saying that angle job on the valves would give me full potential but it is not necesary right ? and also(this might be biased) would a pathy intake give me the air supply that would be necessary or should i just wait till you come out with your manifold (are you going to sell some of those too?) or worse come to worse cut mine up and gut it out and have some body having it welded back , i just want to do this now because when i took of the old gaskets they like fell apart sort of and are definetly not reusable and oem nissan headgaskets are expensive and dont think id be smart to buy these twice , also do you hybrid do you have any head work done or is it all stock? i may just stay stock.

and about cosmetics visracing.com makes stock looking carbon fiber hoods( i dont like the cowl type it look too muscle car for my taste and i think it just throws off the sleek streamline look of the z ) and trunks and i thinki saw somwhere somebody was making carbon fiber tbo and ss front lips , i love that jdm tuner type body work that help with aerodynamics and performance and at the same time by reducing weight and also clean looking and i think carbon fiber fits the bill ,i dontknow about your car but when im on the freeway my hood shakes and moves like it is about to fly open , i think it is because it so heavy and the brackets so flimsy and maybe because it is not well adjusted but anyway it might be hard for you veterans to find this appealing and about the rims and aero parts (because thats the right name) , i have the tokico spring and shock kit and i was thinking how it drops the front more than the rear and i have seen other cars as the prowler with differrent size wheel in the front and back and think it is not a bad idea , even tho it might throw off the speedo but i think its worth it for the look, also the rear rims would look nice flush with the fender with an offset that that would pull out a mean lip on the rim , right now i have my car equipped with the z33 wheels mostly not for the looks(even tho it looks awesome) but for the better handling of a low pro tire and i think noticeably lighter wheel , and now i have been paying attention to my wheels and feel that i need to space them out more and since mustang cobras have the same bolt pattern as our cars( its a fact cobra wheels fit our cars perfectly) and hubcentric wheel spacers are readibly available for the mustang it sounds like a good idea , also i saw the other day an infinity g35 coupe black (same color as my car) with some gold rays wheel and it just looked awesome so i believe gold wheels look very jdm( which i think is the way these japanese super cars should be built up to be) , even tho cosmetics is going to be the last part of my project, i think something along these lines would just give off a look that when you see it roaming the streets you would just have to respect . anyway enough of that ramblin on i know i am goin annoy somebody.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Rule #1, NOTHING ricey (unless you can back it up I guess) , Stock heads still make power, mine are JDM heads as is the engine, I believe they are equal to to Euro Spec cams, and are more agressive than the US Cams.

Pathy Intake does not help high RPM at all. It is a truck intake, and will increase youre Torque, but Does'nt add any HP.

You wont be able to do anything to that Factory Intake unless you have a Mill.
I may make another intake or two, but I am waiting to see how my Prototype performs, so I know what Id be selling.

Hood needs new Resting Pads. Mine does same thing, not dangerous.

Keep the same size wheels. Use good tires on whatever rim you have.
bigger wheels have a greater Centrifical wight, and unless they are extreamly light ( expensive) , you would actually accelerate quicker with smaller wheels.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I bought some JWT valve springs for $129 and you can really feel more power in the upper rpms.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.