ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone please provide me with the valve lash spec for adjustment on a 1977 280Z -N47 head?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RE: .010 and .012 To Tight

My mechanic set them to the above spec for the intake and exhaust and the engine won't run. If I recall, I thought there was a different spec out for the later Z's. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts

strange..was the engine at normal operating temp. If it was cold, when the metals expand it would lessen the gap. dont think enough that the valves wouldn't close and the engine wouldn't run though

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Won't run?

I set my lash .010" for both intake and exhaust on my old N-42 head. This is the setting for when the engine is hot. It takes all the play out of the lash for a more quiet engine and slightly better performance. There is no reason the engine should not run with the lash set at .010"/.012" intake/exhaust unless he did it cold and he made the lash even less than that!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RE: .010 and .012 To Tight-Response

My mechanic set the valves to spec after he checked 3 different sources which all said .010 and .012. Engine was hot when they did it. He said the would loosen them up a little and re-test. If anyone has an idea or info, all is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts

have my 76 set at .010 and .012 and it purrs...even when the temp gage is close to the red...thats why the radiators out getting boiled out now :).

·
Registered
107,695 Posts

Well Richard, I hope that you get that bad boy running soon. Was it running when the valves were adjusted looser? and then he went to .010 and .012 and the car wouldn't start? Valve cover gasket sealing properly? Oil cap on tight?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Steve

I am going to go by their shop tonight after work. My car is about a day away from being done. It was running before they did the adjustment but was noisey as I listened to it last night. Will ask them the same questions. All it needs is a few adjustments, brakes, clutch, AC charge, front end alignment and final inspection. I have been waiting a long time to get back behind the wheel. Let me know when and where we can meet so I can check out your VR.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.