ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am fixing to replace the valve cover gaskets on my 86 na. is there anythin that i need to kow or should watch out for. i was also thinking about removing the intake plenum to do a full tune up (plugs, wires, etc) i do have a haynes manual but i know it doesnt always tell you everything you need to know.

thanks in advance
zelotic

Post Edited (Mar 30, 10:11am)

·
Registered
657 Posts
you dont need to remove the upper plenum to do a tune-up. it just takes some finess to get the #6 wire on there.... If you do remove the plenum just remember to loosen and tighten in the correct order.
Cant think of any complication with removing the valve covers......... just dont get anything in there..... And try not to loose a bolt. i dropped one on the right exhaust manifold and never found it.....but theyre only $1.85 a piece from dealer.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
are you replaceing them cuz they are leaking? I had a leaky driver side one and I checked the valve cover bolts with my screw driver and they were VERY loose. tightened them back up and I think I may have solved my problem.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i will go check and see if they are too loose... my drivers side is the one that is leaking and i figured i might as well replace them both and do a tune up all in hte same day

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I definitly think its worth a shot to tighten them, clean the oil off the side, and wait becuase you have to remove so much stuff to change them. call me lazy. haha

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i checked all the bolts that i could... i had a few loose in the problematic areas so i tightened them... cleaned off all the old oil and now am going to drive it for a few days and see if it startes up again... and no sportsdriver your not lazy, you just take an alternate approach to an otherwise wasted venture if it was only loose bolts causing the problem... hehe good call mate...

thanks for the advice

cheers
zelotic

·
Registered
260 Posts
I am doing the exact same thing to my 86t-it is a pain in the [email protected]#!. The NA is almost head on easy. I took mine off to re-gasket and also to repaint. I was up until 2am this morning sanding off old surface rust. You have to remove the plenum on the turbos, that is the major difference in the turbo and the NA. If you have to loosen the plenum invest in a good hex socket, a 6mm to be exact-and loosen them in the order right to left end, then right to left to the center.

·
Registered
657 Posts
sorry my bad.......... i guess you do have to remove it.....i did all that when i put the whole top of the motor back together(heads stayed on)....never removed the a/c braket.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I HAD valve cover leaks...maybe...but they can be confused with getting oil on the manifolds...snugged the screws down a few times and haven't had a leak since. 60K miles.

Also...it's possible to redo the plugs...wires...injector connxs without removing anything substantial...unless you like taking things off the car.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.