ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking through my Haynes Manual for the Datsun 280zx...i personally have an 82 turbo...and while looking up what i need to do to accomplish a valve clearence check and adjustment...it says on page 48 Fig. 1.28 that

"correct torquing of the rocker picot locknut requires the use of a special tool such as the Datsun tool shown"

ummmm What tool is that??

Does anyone have the pages in the FSM about the valve adjustment thay they could scan and send to me? i havn't been able to purchase one yet...( i know i know i really should get one ) thanks alot everyone.

Matt

·
Registered
470 Posts
Correct,

you only need a 14mm and 17mm wrench. When tightening the adjustable pivot and locking nut, you must constantly check to make sure the valve clearance is still good. When you tighten you will find the clearance changes. I usually go too tight or too loose and when I tighten the lock nut to the adjustable pivot it hits dead on. You will have to practice. As far as the torque goes, just wrench the piss out of it....within reason if you are superman!

·
Registered
257 Posts
That "special tool" is an off-size metric wrench! You'll notice that when you whip out your handy 14 and 17 mm wrenches they don't fit too snugly around the lock nut and the adjuster. My personal opinion is that Nissan didn't want anyone BUT Nissan to do the adjustment, hence the special service tool. Oh well, use the 14 and 17mm wrenches!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone have an FSM for the 82 year? i really could use the pages on a valve adjustment. Because the Haynes is kinda...well...short and indirect.

Thanks.

Matt

·
Registered
17 Posts
Matt, I just did this, and I had to grind a 15mm open end wrench to 16.3mm. It worked with a leverage bar to break them loose. The wrench has to fit real tight - I tapped it on with a hammer, and didn't bugger up the nuts getting them loose. Tightening them up I just turned without leverage bar and checked clearence. Works fine. Check posts on cold adjustment, works better so as not to burn up hands. Be patient and methodical - you will make no mistakes.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Re: Valve Clearance Adjustment tool

I dare anyone to find one of these tools in a Nissan dealership. Those clods probably don't know a torque wrench from Shinola. The tool is a U-shaped torque wrench adapter that isn't needed if you are careful.
Valves usually need a thin wrench to tighten the jamb nut (that's why its called a jamb nut wrench). In this case, you need to get a 16 mm. wrench. This is not a size that is included in most normal wrench sets so you'll have to buy it separately. Some mechs. grind the head of the wrench thinner to fit the nut, but you probably don't have to for this case.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.