ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm new to z's, think my 77 280z 4 speed needs valve adj. has a light tick coming from high in the motor. i've done this plenty of times on vw's, but have'nt even looked under the valve cover on any of these chariots. instructions would be greatly appreciated. also any special ingredient to ensure successful completion would be helpful.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
You may have a noisy fuel injector. They sound similar.

But if not:

Adj. valves:

Remove spk. plugs from COLD engine. Coat their threads w/ anti-seize compound and reinstall them at NOT MORE THAN 12 ft.-lbs. Run engine up to temp. and remove plugs. Remove valve cover. Turn engine by hand using large nut on the crank pulley to get cam lifters on cam base circle for the valves you are adjusting. Adj. valves and reinstall valve cover and plugs. Very easy. Does not need to be done hot and running like some other engines.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a question.. why do you take the spark plugs out and put anti-seize on them.. put them in and out agian before taking the cover off?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think it's cause when you warm up the car, the metal in the head and plugs expands at different rates, and you don't want to strip the hole. my question is, why warm it up first if he said it did'nt have to be warmed? really what i needed to know is what do i turn to adjust the clearance, and what should that clearance be?

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Re: valve adjustment

The exercise with the plugs is indeed to prevent ruining the threads when they are removed. I never know who did the install. of the last set of plugs. and w/ an alum. head you've got to be careful.

The adj. has to be done hot but not running. The exh. is 0.012 in.and the intake is 0.010 in.

The adj. screw is held by a jam nut. Loosen the jam nut, adj. the slotted adj. screw and retighten the jam nut.

Cold clearances are 0.002 in. less on both as a prelim. on a new assembly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.