ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Adjusted the valve clearance on my 80 280zx, and I have never done one before, and I am thinking that I might have screwed it up. First, the engine was somewhat warm, but I don't think it was at normal operating temperature (I let it idle in the garage for about 5-10 mintues..). When I started checking clearances, I used .25mm for the intakes and .30mm for the exhaust, and I adjusted the valves in accordance with how the Haynes manual said. I noticed that most of the exhaust valves were fine, but all of the intakes were way to tight. After I finnished, it didn't seem to run any different, and now, I 'think' (not sure) that it is making an extra clicking or clacking sound. Would that indicate that I did something wrong? I am probably going to pull the valve cover and check it anyway, just wanted to bounce this off a few others.....

Thanks!

jA

p.s. The engine has 'maybe' (not sure) 104K miles.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
You said the intakes were too tight and you obviously added some clearance, thus creating your clicking. I never pay the Haynes manual much attention, except to tell me what order to torque the head bolts. This is what I do and have never had any problems. In the morning, start and run the engine for 15 minutes or so. Turn it off and let it sit a few minutes and remove the valve cover. Once the engine has cooled enough to start adjusting valves have at it. I always go .010 on both intake and exhaust, it assures adequate, but tight clearance and a motor that will run quiet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.