ZCar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'81 turbo. had a barn rat eat the vacuum lines under the hood.(amongst other things. if anyone ever tells you they only eat the insulation, that's BS.) copper in the rat turds is indicative of metal ingestion. got the wiring pretty well sorted. but the three vacuum lines across the rocker, and what and where they hook up is mystifying me. any help much appreciated. as i understand it, the '81 is unique in this aspect; as to components and routing of the speed control and which vacuum line goes to the interior vacuum motors. thanx in advance.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
938 Posts
I can get you pictures of the routing my 1983 Turbo, but can't help with anything specific to an 81.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can get you pictures of the routing my 1983 Turbo, but can't help with anything specific to an 81.
at this point, anything would be helpful. it appears the car has 2 vacuum tanks. the forward one has an inlet and an outlet; possibly a storage tank for vacuum when the car is on boost? and a second tank w/what looks like two solenoids for operation of the ascd (auto speed control device). these "solenoids" each have 2 electrical connections and a vacuum port, and the tank itself has a vacuum port. if yours looks like this, pictures would be very helpful, and much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
938 Posts
at this point, anything would be helpful. it appears the car has 2 vacuum tanks. the forward one has an inlet and an outlet; possibly a storage tank for vacuum when the car is on boost? and a second tank w/what looks like two solenoids for operation of the ascd (auto speed control device). these "solenoids" each have 2 electrical connections and a vacuum port, and the tank itself has a vacuum port. if yours looks like this, pictures would be very helpful, and much appreciated.
Mine really doesn't look as you describe. I can't find any vacuum tanks under the hood at all. The forward passenger corner of the engine compartment has what appears to be the carbon canister. The label is as shown:

Below is the cruise control; there may possibly be a small vacuum pump below it, which is centered in the second shot below. The cruise control unit is on the passenger side just in front of the battery.

I don't know if any of this helps, it sounds like a very different setup.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you so much for your time and efforts. yes, mine seems to differ greatly from your set-up. the charcoal canister sits where yours does, and directly behind it sits the two vacuum tanks. the "booster" for the cruise control (ascd) is situated differently, and i believe is controlled from the "solenoid" vacuum tank. always knew the '81 had some differences from the later turbo models; it will just take further investigation. 112k miles and have owned this car over 30 yrs. and still a mystery sometimes. once again, much thanx.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
reviewing you first picture, your hp air conditioning line (copper) is passing over what appears to be the forward vacuum tank. if i could impose on you greatly, could i get some "linked shots" front to back of that side of the engine compartment? or maybe an overall shot of that side? may not differ so greatly. thank you.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
938 Posts
OK, will do. Not like I have to be at work or anything. And it helps me avoid cleaning the garage...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, i think this covid-19 thing will knock me out of work, too. 62 years old; no garage to clean out, lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had an 81 turbo where I also had a vacuum line need. Luckily someone provided me a diagram many years ago. Please see the attached jpg which may be helpful. This was specific to the '81

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you for your post. looking for help on the vacuum lines that cross the valve cover and conclude in operation of the ASCD (cruise control). the DEAD barn rat in question didn't make it into the interior of the car. just underhood. and eventually the top of a very big fire ant bed!

·
Registered
3 Posts
thank you for your post. looking for help on the vacuum lines that cross the valve cover and conclude in operation of the ASCD (cruise control). the DEAD barn rat in question didn't make it into the interior of the car. just underhood. and eventually the top of a very big fire ant bed!
Following your thread re the vacuum lines. I have an 82 280zx turbo and a FSM that may be helpful. Vacuum lines are confusing and unfortunately the FSM doesn’t have great pictures or explanations. Go figure. If the 81 is different than the 82 may not be helpful. Let me know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Following your thread re the vacuum lines. I have an 82 280zx turbo and a FSM that may be helpful. Vacuum lines are confusing and unfortunately the FSM doesn’t have great pictures or explanations. Go figure. If the 81 is different than the 82 may not be helpful. Let me know.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
have a nico club.com shortcut to fsm on my laptop, but after switching to chrome browser, can't seem to get it to load. a very good suggestion, indeed. i'll have to search more and try to find it. thanx.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
938 Posts
OK, some photos which may help. Here's the vacuum pump, located below the auxiliary light:

(EDITED) There are four ports on the pump. The line with the red tape on it comes out of the black cap and goes directly through the firewall. The vacuum line mounted closest to the fender goes to the device mounted under the cruise control module.

The vacuum line coming off the left side/engine compartment side of the pump (toward the camera) and the line coming off the right port (with yellowish top) go across the engine to the intake manifold. In the photo below, my middle finger and thumb are touching them near their destinations:

This little exercise may have helped me resolve a possible vacuum problem as well. I need to check the line going through the firewall for leaks, as the air control doors on my climate control aren't working correctly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i do appreciate your "lil' exercise", sir. i have this tank on my '81 turbo also; mounted behind and under where the hp a/c fitting shows. just forward of it is another vacuum tank almost identical in size w/o the electrical switches/solenoids. it has two vacuum connections. someday i hope to have the savvy to post pics on this forum. i have my vacuum lines hooked up similarly to yours pictured in order for the cruise and the interior vacuum motors to function correctly now. i am in your debt, sir. the additional vacuum tank sits disconnected. btw, what is the component between your vacuum tank and your a/c accumulator?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts