Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I have an 86T with the vacuum motor that comes on for a few seconds when you first turn the key to on. Some of us on the 70 to 83 board with first gen Zs were talking about how we have crappy power brakes in response to performance cams. One person suggested vacuum motors and I thought of my 86T.

My question is: How does the motor quit? Is there a sensor somewhere other than in the motor ( and where is it? ) or will the motor quit on its own when it reaches the required vacuum? Any advice on this would be appreciated. Thank you.

John

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
The motor is supposed to quit after a couple seconds of running. That means you don't have any leaks.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right! So what is the mechanism that shuts off the motor? Is it an in line sensor that cuts the power when it reaches the correct vacuum, (because of there is a leak it will keep running) or is there some mechanism in the motor that shuts it off.

The reason I am asking is that I have the spare vacuum motor from a boneyard 86T. Is that all I need or is there a sensor switch somewhere in the line that I also have to account for when I install it in my 77 to correct for the performance cam? Thanks.

John

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Red October,

Thanks for the info. Looks like I might need to buy a vacuum pump that is made just for that application. Thanks again.

john

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
An extra vacuum reservoir for the brakes is not a bad idea, either, of maybe 1 or 2 litres volume.
Also consider a vacuum pump from a diesel vehicle expecially if your local wreckers have a variety of light trucks. Pulley sizing would be important with a high revving motor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.