ZCar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used a large vacuum distribution block as a way to clean up the mass amount of hoses on the intake? Is this possible? I want to clean up my engine bay but don’t want to loose any functionality. I’m having no luck finding info on this type of solution and can seem to find any aftermarket intake manifolds that have the vacuum bungs on the bottom.

Jacob

·
Registered
226 Posts
You know, if one counts the number of ports in the intake tract, and then the number of ends of all the tubing, one might realize that most of the plumbing is that vacuum being passed around among the several users in necessary sequences.

It is my experience that if one invests in longer new hoses and some zip ties, one can organize the engine plumbing pretty neatly.

Just a thought....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So basically what your saying is that buy using a distribution block I would be eliminating the sequencing the system uses? Just making sure that was a correct first person translation 😂. So is there really no way to run this system other than to have a ridiculous amount of hoses in the intake?

·
Super Moderator
41,003 Posts
So basically what your saying is that buy using a distribution block I would be eliminating the sequencing the system uses? Just making sure that was a correct first person translation 😂. So is there really no way to run this system other than to have a ridiculous amount of hoses in the intake?
I want no functionality loss.
I want to remove parts.

Think, McFly... hellooooo?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m not wanting to remove parts, just wondering what would happen if u ran a large manifold vacuum to a ditribution block on the firewall and then had all the hoses looking for manifold vacuum running to that. Or, would it be possible to relocate all vacuum ports to the backside of the intake. Not trying to offend fellas. This is the first vehicle I have had that is built this way.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Even with a 'central' vacuum manifold, wouldn't you still have a bunch of hoses running to the same components? Crazylair's setup looks sweet but that's not exactly stock.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Even with a 'central' vacuum manifold, wouldn't you still have a bunch of hoses running to the same components? Crazylair's setup looks sweet but that's not exactly stock.
Yes you would have hoses running to the components. My goal was to run one manifold vacuum to a block on the firewall, then route vacuum to the components from there. It would look much cleaner if it would work but I’m not sure it will.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Trying to visualize a cleaner look and you might be right. But it seems like a lot of work for not a lot of gain since, as Ensys says, you can clean things up a lot with use of zip ties and rerouting - of both hoses and wires. I am unfamiliar with NA 280ZXs so can't say for sure if there is sequencing on any components that might be compromised with vaccuum rerouting. If there is, you could probably work around it by doing a bit of homework with the FSM. Good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trying to visualize a cleaner look and you might be right. But it seems like a lot of work for not a lot of gain since, as Ensys says, you can clean things up a lot with use of zip ties and rerouting - of both hoses and wires. I am unfamiliar with NA 280ZXs so can't say for sure if there is sequencing on any components that might be compromised with vaccuum rerouting. If there is, you could probably work around it by doing a bit of homework with the FSM. Good luck!
Does the turbo system have vacuum sequencing? Or is everything run to the vacuum pump?

·
Registered
226 Posts
$.02 worth of observation...

Mr.D:

You know, now that you mention it, you do have that "Biff-the-Bully" bit down pat. Kudos.

Mr.Larry:

It's easy to reduce the clutter when you remove all the users. Long live the 50s...
You know, with a little longer breather hose....

Mr.Dirtbikinginger:

So, this is your first "smog era" project?

Just out of curiosity, are you in a testing State?

·
Registered
73 Posts

Mr.Larry:

It's easy to reduce the clutter when you remove all the users. Long live the 50s...

You can't see it in the picture, but the breather hose goes to a catch can that you can see half off in the lower right.

·
Registered
622 Posts
A couple thoughts - if you route everything to a vacuum block which is fed by one small vacuum line I'd be surprised if you would be able to get enough vacuum to actuate all the vacuum powered devices properly.

Think of it like a big cup of soda, you are going to move less soda through one straw than you would with a bunch.

Also, there are a couple of lines that need to be plugged into special spots that wouldn't work if plugged into a block. The vacuum advance & charcoal canister go into the throttlebody for example.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Mr.D:

You know, now that you mention it, you do have that "Biff-the-Bully" bit down pat. Kudos.

Mr.Larry:

Mr.Dirtbikinginger:

So, this is your first "smog era" project?

Just out of curiosity, are you in a testing State?
No sir. My state doesn’t do any testing. (Alabama)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Just a thought - that this is not a bad idea, I just wonder if it is worth the work and what exactly the 'improved look' might be. As for one 'central' vacuum box not being able to handle it, I don't believe that's true. Big boats have all sorts of "through-hulls" in them - which are basically valves to the ocean with some sort of shutoff inside (for obvious reasons). Some boats literally have a dozen holes in the bottom for these things. They run stuff like engine raw water cooling, sinks, drains, potties, etc. In order to make things 'safer', some boaters just have one big through-hull going to basically a big metal or fiberglass box, and hoses for all the various things that need it coming out of that one box. It works fine. (the drawback is you have long hoses snaking all over the boat, but they're usually hidden.) So with a car, you'd just need to make sure you had a big enough hose to supply enough vacuum to the central box to supply all the various components.

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
You're going to get a quicker reaction time to a component with short, direct hoses that pass the vacuum pressure down the hose. A large reservoir will send pressure down the hose at what is existing in the "can" until any "air space" is refilled from the feed to the can; the bigger the can the slower the "refill" occurs. In some cases you may need a more instantaneous vacuum, due to say sudden throttle opening and an air-pot on the FPR, different than what is in the can and can immediately supply. Ex: A short direct hose to the FPR may well give a better fuel/throttle response. Agreed, the time in seconds or milliseconds may not matter to a lot of components. .02c

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You're going to get a quicker reaction time to a component with short, direct hoses that pass the vacuum pressure down the hose. A large reservoir will send pressure down the hose at what is existing in the "can" until any "air space" is refilled from the feed to the can; the bigger the can the slower the "refill" occurs. In some cases you may need a more instantaneous vacuum, due to say sudden throttle opening and an air-pot on the FPR, different than what is in the can and can immediately supply. Ex: A short direct hose to the FPR may well give a better fuel/throttle response. Agreed, the time in seconds or milliseconds may not matter to a lot of components. .02c
Thank you! This rebuke made sense to me. Good thing to consider.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts