ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a camshaft with a similar gring to the MSA 2003 cam.
It is a schneider cam, but it is an older grind....A friend bought it in the late 80s and had it sitting in his shed until 6 months ago.

I installed this cam on my 3.1L engine with SUs.
My brakes were less than satisfactory (to put it mildly). They had an on/off tendency. There was little pedal feel, and little ability to "feather" the brakes.
I pretty much had no brakes or locked brakes.

I was uncertain as to the source of the issue. I figured that maybe it was time for a vented rotor brake upgrade....Nope.

I purchased a Comp Cams vacuum canister from the local speed shop for $37. It is an aluminum canister with a silver powder coat finish.

It took about 30 miutes to install. The lions-share of this time was spent figuring out where to put it. I installed it half was between the radiator core support and the strut tower on the driver's side. This was the closest place I could fit it to the booster and vvacuum source on the manifold.

All I can say is WOW! I drove the car and realized that I didn't notice the brakes at all. Before, braking was a conscious, planned action. Now it was just natural.

I highly HIGHLY recommend a canister if you have noticed brake degridation due to a new camshaft. This is a WONDERFUL product.

Just thought I'd let others know.

· Registered
4,034 Posts
Re: Pardon my ignorance...

no with bigger cam you have less vacuum. so the vacuum booster will work less. I think bigger booster off 2+2 will help lack of boost too

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
ZXT has a PUMP!

Turbo cars actually have a vacuum PUMP so accessories like the heater control valves will work under boost. Some people even run an auxillary vacuum pump just for the brakes. If you really get radical, the LD28 alternator has such a pump on the backside of the alternator...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.