ZCar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 1987 300ZX (VG30E) and am working through diagnosing some "small" issues. The climate control solenoid array up under the drivers footwell is clicking. I unscrewed some from the bracket and depending on the conditions it is either solenoid 2 or 3 when counting closest to the driver. The pinhole on the back of the second solenoid (See photo) is sucking in air. Is that normal? I'll mention that A/C and heating both work, although to switch between heat and A/C I need to turn the HVAC off and back on otherwise I get hot air on the foot vents and cold air on the face vents.

I checked the vacuum lines on the canister (no vac pump as its a non turbo) by the passenger headlight and they look okay. I clipped about an 1/8inch off the end of each hose so that they would create a tighter fit around the vacuum tank valves. When I put my ear on the canister, I can hear what sounds like air getting sucked out and it never stops. Is that normal, or is there a leak that's always allowing air in the tank? I'm waiting a vacuum gauge so I can test that the tank holds a vacuum.

I know that connects directly to the vacuum canister: my cruise control actuator is not working (both cruise control lights come on when engaging, but throttle cable never adjusts to hold the speed).

I guess after writing this all out, it sounds like there's a vacuum leak, huh!

IMG_4481.jpeg

-Michael

·
Registered
589 Posts
Do you have a digital or analog dash? The analog system uses vacuum from the engine to work the actuators, so it seems it is what you say is a vacuum leak, a bad actuator.

Attached is the analog layout under the dash.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You’re right, Scott, that’s an important distinction! I have an analog dash with the digital/automatic climate control.

I'll work to confirm the vacuum is holding and have ordered some new hose to replace some of the more precarious looking lines. Seems the one going from the vacuum canister through the firewall is the most challenging.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts