ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pertronix and Crane HI-6, although the hi-6 has nothing to do with the question. I had the Pertronix installed by a shop (they talked me into it when I dropped it off for carb tuning) and I had taken the smog crap off a few years earlier. I dont know if I did it or they did, but my vacuum advance is capped off. Im pretty sure I didnt. so my ? is, should it be capped off with the pertronix, I think not, since this is only a trigger.
Also, when I attach a hose and suck on it with the dist. cap off, nothing happens as far as I can tell. What should I see?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Mike I have run my 240 without vacuum advance for years. I run total advance of 31 degrees wth centrif. advance at 3500 RPM in my 2.9L. My old 280 block ran better with 35 degrees total advance. vacuum advance tends to be a little unstable so maybe that is why they disconnected it. Later,norm

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vacuum advance answers, definately long

Mike, I don't know anything about the Pertronix trigger. I did a quick Alta Vista search on it & it looks like it is a magnetic proximity sensor as a trigger for the ignition system. This is as good as any other method for getting rid of your points....

Unless there is more to this system than I see, or the shop reworked your centrifigul (sp) advance so that all of your advance is mechanical, you should still have a functional vacuum advance.

Unless you have super sucker lips, you probably won't see any motion with just sucking. You will need a vacuum pump (like a mighty vac or other) to produce sufficient vacuum to move the plate. I am going strictly by memory (you know, WORK really is a nasty 4-letter word) but I think that the vacuum advance doesn't start until around 10" or 12" of mercury and is not full until 18" or 20". This is a fair amount of vacuum.

Should you have it hooked up?
1. Ask the shop what they did, or
2. Get a timing light and see what kind of total advance you're getting as Norm suggested, or
3. Simply hook the distr. back up to an appropriate vacuum port, set the timing per the manual and drive the car...if too much pinging under loads that produce high manifold vacuum then start playing w/ initial advance until you are happy...or
4. See #1 first.

Just my $.02

tomh

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.