ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NEED TO KNOW WHAT RADIATOR WORKS WELL IN 260Z WITH A 700R4 OVERDRIVE TRANS AND A/C. JTR SAYS A 84-86 CAMARO. ALL THE SHOPS THAT I HAVE BEEN TO KEEP COMING UP WITH ONE THAT IS ABOUT 30 INCHES WIDE AND I NEED ONE THAT IS A LITTLE OVER 25 INCHES WIDE. WHAT GIVES?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi
I have a 71 240 V8 Z. The PO's had a Chevy radiator in it with an electric fan from an import of some kind. It ran really hot during the summer in Phoenix. This was partially do to an inadequate fan and bad aerodynamiocs leading air into the radiator but the radiator was a big problem in my Z also. I am redoing my cooling system now and I thought I'd tell you what I'm going to do in case you may be interested.

First I'm going to use a Griffin radiator. The size that will be used is 24 by 19. They have two types one which has two 1 cores and an other which has two 1.25 inch cores. From Jegs or Summit prices are approximately $180 for the 1 core and $270 for the 1.25 inch core. In my mind this is not a bad price for a radiator that is far superior to any of the OEM type radiators out there. It is also lighter and better looking than the old style radiators at least. With that radiator I'm going to have a radiator shop weld on some angle iron (alluminum) on two the side tanks so I can use the original radiator mounting locations to secure it to the cars radiator support. This is not my idea I've heard about the Griffin radiator swap form time to time before on the Internet. Here are some URL's that may help you out.

http://www.arches.uga.edu/~dbarry/jtpic03.htm

This is a Griffin that Jim T put in his old 240. The picture will show you how the thing mounts up. When I saw his install I was definately hooked on this conversion. It is fairly inexpensive and it is a really simple way of doing a really clean install. Thanks Jim.

Anyhow I hope this helps.

Sean Boyle

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
> NEED TO KNOW WHAT RADIATOR WORKS WELL IN
> 260Z WITH A 700R4 OVERDRIVE TRANS AND A/C.
> JTR SAYS A 84-86 CAMARO. ALL THE SHOPS THAT
> I HAVE BEEN TO KEEP COMING UP WITH ONE THAT
> IS ABOUT 30 INCHES WIDE AND I NEED ONE THAT
> IS A LITTLE OVER 25 INCHES WIDE. WHAT GIVES?
are you using the 6 or 8 cyl model
JTR specify which to use
here in eastern wash it rutinly get 100-110 in the summer with minimal humitity my '76 Z-8 runs cool, but invest in the best elec puller fan you can get

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.