ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever seen a V8 in a datsun roaster??? Or for that matter, I bet several readers have never even seen a Datsun roadster. I had a 67 that I put a 2.3 liter Ford in, but really wanted to put in a small block 383ci. I went as far as getting a motor and setting it in the engine bay and getting a 9 inch rear with disk brakes. Then went back to school and sacrificed the car due to too many projects. Those cars have an extremely strong frame that has full length boxed rails connected with a huge X shaped frame (again fully boxed) right in the center under the car. It oughta handle all the torque you could put through it without twisting like the Z. This would be a very unique car. Convertible top, light rigid car with a V8, Datsun badge, could be a poor man's Cobra. Screw up all those Ford 5.Nothing Mustangs day real quick. Look for a 67 or earlier car with a bolt on lower profile windshield, it looked better. Don't destroy a 2000. They look identical, but it is already a screamer and getting valuable. The 1600 overheated and warped heads making them plentiful as non-runners. When I went out to Northern Cal several years ago I saw several still getting around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Don't sacrifice any roadsters!!!!!

I'm glad you mentioned that the 2000 is already a screamer and getting rare. I convinced my father (who has infinitely deeper pockets than me) to buy a '68 2000 from a buddy of mine last summer. He owned one in the mid '70s when I was just a kid he and always said it was the best damned sports car he ever owned. I remember he always went really fast over a one-lane wooden bridge that the road ramped up to on either side. I swear that roadster was airborne for 10-15 feet. Now I have him restoring the thing with my help and we have a bonafide Classic Datsun garage. But my concern is that the 1600 is even rarer than the 2000. I know they had problems and aren't nearly as popular as the 2000. But they are much rarer, especially the low windshield variety you mentioned. There are only a few hundred of those. I wouldn't recommend messing with any of the roadsters. Period. That's what the common Z car is for. If you're going to bastardize a Datsun and want a roadster, just cut the top off a 77-78 Z and reinforce the frame. By the way, my dad's license plate is NOT AN MG.

Just my 0.02 worth. Love Datsun sports cars.

Alex

> Anybody ever seen a V8 in a datsun
> roaster??? Or for that matter, I bet several
> readers have never even seen a Datsun
> roadster. I had a 67 that I put a 2.3 liter
> Ford in, but really wanted to put in a small
> block 383ci. I went as far as getting a
> motor and setting it in the engine bay and
> getting a 9 inch rear with disk brakes. Then
> went back to school and sacrificed the car
> due to too many projects. Those cars have an
> extremely strong frame that has full length
> boxed rails connected with a huge X shaped
> frame (again fully boxed) right in the
> center under the car. It oughta handle all
> the torque you could put through it without
> twisting like the Z. This would be a very
> unique car. Convertible top, light rigid car
> with a V8, Datsun badge, could be a poor
> man's Cobra. Screw up all those Ford
> 5.Nothing Mustangs day real quick. Look for
> a 67 or earlier car with a bolt on lower
> profile windshield, it looked better. Don't
> destroy a 2000. They look identical, but it
> is already a screamer and getting valuable.
> The 1600 overheated and warped heads making
> them plentiful as non-runners. When I went
> out to Northern Cal several years ago I saw
> several still getting around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
>>Anybody ever seen a V8 in a datsun roaster???

Yep at the Vancouver Datsun show...it was absolutely beautiful...arguably the nicest Roadster at the show( nothing to do with the engine either ) and the conversion made it look like the V8 was intended to sit there...

All that said I don't know if I would encourage this conversion, A lot of cutting took place to get that engine in there and I don't know how well a car that size would ever get that power to the road.
Seems like if you really wanted to convert this car for more power a lot of other engines would make a much better match such as a Mazda Rotary or Buick/Rover Aluminum Small Block (Many MG's are running this engine ) as they are both MUCH smaller and lighter than the Chevy Mouse...

The black car is the car in question but the picture doesn't do it justice
-Chuck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: So there are some roadster lovers here!

Absolutely beautiful picture of some stunning roadsters!!!!!
Those are some valid points guys, but in this area, TN, there aren't many 2000's around. I see maybe 6 or seven 1600, all hightops. They look crappily cared for and run equally crappy. When I do see them they are either in a garage or someone is trying to sell them on a lot somewhere. I never see a 2000. Never. Only if it is an organized event. And then the one car that is there will be alongside Sunbeam Tigers and Jaguars, and everyone thinks it's an MG. Doing anything other than stock to a car is going to upset somebody. Purists come in varying degrees. I'm a purist about 2000's. The 1600 may be getting rare, but there is a good reason for it. It is less desireable and it is getting canablized for parts on the 2000. Viva la 1600, it will be a donor car for the 2000. My 69 Le Mans convertible is probably more rare than a GTO conv, but I'm about the only one who wanted a Le Mans. The rotary engine is a great idea, I considered putting that in my car before the Ford motor--BTW someone had already replaced the boat anchor of an engine the factory installed with a datsun pick-up motor--the problem was when I started looking around for an upgraded rotary somewhere around 250-275 hp, I couldn't find a good source in this state for the job. Seems that the rotary is now getting rare due to the shrinking supply of good core rotors, a sad situation. I can't understand why GM didn't make one. I own an 83 RX-7 as well. So, why not go balls to the wall and go V8? Sunbeam did. It's not for everyone, but I just wish I wouldv'e completed it---One side note, the guy who bought my 1600--which was complete less engine and trans--only wanted the car for the perfect windshield and frame for his 1600, which he tryed to sell to me at his cost instead of sinking more money into his overheating, warped-headed car. That was not the only 1600 I owned. MAN WHAT BEAUTIFUL CAR!!! Someone else can make it run, not me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: So there are some roadster lovers here!

> Doing anything other than stock to a car is
> going to upset somebody. Purists come in
> varying degrees. I'm a purist about 2000's.

I know exactly what you mean!
I am Definately not a purist about any car at least not about altering a car to better it's performance....

> I can't understand why GM didn't
> make a rotary.

Probably the same reason you are having a tough time finding them, very difficult technology to get right with a lot drawbacks in the cost department

> So, why
> not go balls to the wall and go V8?

Absolutely just pick the right V8.
The only reason I suggested not using the Chevy was the size. The conversion I saw looked pretty tough and drastic as 70% of the inner fenders had been cut out to make room....

> Sunbeam
> did. It's not for everyone, but I just wish
> I wouldv'e completed it.

Sunbeam is a very good Example why you might rethink the Chevy idea, did you know that the reason Tigers died out was due to the fact Alpine ran into Financial problems and Chrysler bought them in 1964?
So in 1965 you went to a Chrysler dealership to get a Ford powered Sunbeam (aka Tiger)!
Unfortunately Chryler couldn't shoe horn their small block into the little car so it died.

One of my favorite cars of all time was the British AC with a Ford motor in it- I think you know which one I am talking about<g>

-Good Luck with the Project and you will probably find Buick/Rover V8 tough locate as well
(I never found a supply I wanted to go with )

Chuck
76 280Z with a Chevy V8
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
Look at the hole in the hood!!!

> Yep at the Vancouver Datsun show...it was
> absolutely beautiful...arguably the nicest
> Roadster at the show( nothing to do with the
> engine either ) and the conversion made it
> look like the V8 was intended to sit
> there...

> All that said I don't know if I would
> encourage this conversion, A lot of cutting
> took place to get that engine in there and I
> don't know how well a car that size would
> ever get that power to the road.
> Seems like if you really wanted to convert
> this car for more power a lot of other
> engines would make a much better match such
> as a Mazda Rotary or Buick/Rover Aluminum
> Small Block (Many MG's are running this
> engine ) as they are both MUCH smaller and
> lighter than the Chevy Mouse...

> The black car is the car in question but the
> picture doesn't do it justice
> -Chuck
Aren't those roadsters pretty?
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top