ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to convince my dad into putting a V8, preferably a chevy 350, into my '77 280Z. Does anybody have any advice?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> I have been trying to convince my dad into
> putting a V8, preferably a chevy 350, into
> my '77 280Z. Does anybody have any advice?

Well, just be aware that if you put that engine in a Z that it
won't really be a Z anymore. You have to change a lot more
than just the engine... with that engine you'll have to beef up
the suspension and drivetrain... Lots of things will have to
be replaced with parts from a Camaro or Corvette. Lots of
people have done it, but I doubt too many of them finish
the job nicely for under $8,000 or so.

There are a few conversion kits available that help in the
process... aswell as books on it.

-rr

·
Registered
107,695 Posts

Sure do, don't do it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
> HEY SEAN, First, contact Jags That Run at www.jagsthatrun.com They print a very comprehensive conversion manual for about $30. The manual has diagrams for all mounting parts, or you can buy all the mounting parts for $300-$350 from their affiliate Stealth Conversions (order forms in the back of the conversion manual). One item is a must, the driveshaft adapter flange which permits bolting a standard GM driveshaft (shortened and balanced) directly to the original rearend. This eliminates the need to have the Datsun driveshaft modified (expensive), and the original u-joints would likely fail. Automatic would be easier to do than Standard (I personally feel more in control clutching and shifting gears). I was able to put mine together from parts I had collected over the years for about $2600, including purchase price of the car ($75). I have not had to modify any suspension components, and abuse it on an almost daily basis. It is my daily driver. Any questions you have I can try to answer through this forum, or I can be contacted at the address listed DAT(sun powered by chevr)OLET. (I don't get on my home machine much though). GOOD LUCK, ENJOY, mikey

·
Registered
1,612 Posts

Sean,
John's Cars in Dallas, Texas has been converting Jags and Z's to V-8 power for over 10 years now. They make a kit for the Z which includes the modification hardware and instructions but you have to come up with the major components - engine, tranny, etc. They will also do the work.
For a standard iron block 350 with 255 HP it will cost $7,900 and they'll need the car for 5 weeks. The cost includes a NEW engine with fuel injection, new T700 automatic transmission, new radiator, new ECU, new exhaust system, new motor mounts, and then all necessary wiring and plumbing changes. The price is negotiab;e depending on anything else you'd like done like hooking up the A/C, installing cruise control, getting an LS-1 325 HP aluminum block, etc. The standard V-8, with aluminum heads, only adds about 50 lbs to the weight of the car so suspesion modifications are nil. The aluminum block engine actually lightens the car. The price tag for it is pretty hefty though.. I wouldn't try it with a 240. The V-8 would torque it pretty good. The 280 has more structure in it and can withstand the V-8. I've seen several V-8 conversions in this area - including one that ran nitrous. It can be a very clean, attractive installation, and, in a 2,800 lb. car, very quick.
Phantom

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In all of the changes I have heard people have made is changing the transmission. Is there any way I can keep the origonal 4-speed in it or do I have to change that also?

·
Registered
316 Posts
> In all of the changes I have heard people
> have made is changing the transmission. Is
> there any way I can keep the origonal
> 4-speed in it or do I have to change that
> also?

Wouldn't recommend that. Unless you don't mind changing trannys when it gets mangled. What you probably will want to do is look for the Scarab kit. It comes with 350sb, TH350, and I think some motor mounts also. You'll probably also want to get a diff & drive shaft that will be able to handle it and also a better suspension.

good luck
Alex

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.