Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey fellow Z guys
I am planning on a V8 conversion so I am not going to need my L28 engine. what would be a g0od price to sell off the Engine+New Radiator+AFM+alternator+EFI computer for?
also will i need a new transmission and rear end or can i use the stock trans. and rear end? and how about Frame Reinforcment, any idea how much that might cost? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Give me a call if you want to make an offer.
ask for david
281-797-3278 Houston, TX

·
Registered
68 Posts
You can use your rear end, but you will have to change your transmission. You can use any GM transmission on the market.

Goodluck
chadzx

·
Registered
311 Posts
hey zsassin good luck on the swap, like the saying goes there's no replacement for displacement, though you'll notice most folks on this site tend to bash those who choose to modify their cars as they see fit.
more power to you and i'm sure you know hybid z is another good site should you need tips. :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hey Chad, Zsassin didn't say he was going to put a chevy in it.A
H.O. 302 and a T-5 Would fit better.Just my opinion. 240 Al

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey Zsassin,
i just bought a 77 280 and was also considering a V8 but dont have the first clue on what will be the easiest swap,sounds like you have already figured it out.since Chad mentioned a chevy trans,does that rule out the olds. 350 i have here?Please help this is my first swap of this magnatude and i haven't even seen the car yet(it is out of state and i cant pick it up until jan.)

thanxs.
"rabbit"

P.S. I might have an olds. 350 rocket for sale....cheap.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think the 350 Chevy is probably the most popular choice and maybe the best. You can find parts for the Chevy anywhere and it has been done countless times so a wealth of info is available all over. You have a lot of choices with regard to the installation, you can purchase a nearly complete kit with everything you need for the installation or if you're handy you can fabricate a lot of it and save some money.

Rabbit, I think the Olds motor you have is actually a Chevy 350, someone correct me on this if I'm wrong.

Go to www.jtr.com/ for kit info. I think that is the website. Good luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Speaking of the good ol' chevy 350, if someone had the money, could a corvette LT1 engine be swapped into a z car? Just think of it, 300+ hp and 20mpg! IMO that would be one awesome performer!

TJ

·
Registered
268 Posts
A SBC (Small Block Chevy) is a

great way to go!!!! Check out Hybrid Z http://www.hybridz.org/ and you will find lots of people that have made the switch.

There is even a manual availble on the conversion from Jags That Run http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Datsun_Z_V-8.html

The R180 rearend in your car will be OK if you don't plan on much over 300 HP. However, it's pretty easy to switch it with the later R200 version that will handle 400+ HP.

The Ford is a little bit harder to do since there isn't a conversion manual available. Also, Ford didn't make a car with a hyd. clutch (if you want a stick) and the oil pump sump is in the front so you have to install the motor a little higher to clear the front cross member and steering rack. Hybrid Z has a couple of folks that have done this conversion.

If you do it right it's an awesome conversion and looks like Nissan planned it that way. Here are a couple of shots of my 1971 240Z based 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO with a 365 HP 327 Chevy in it. http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1743399

Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.