ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
http://www.leftlanenews.com/?p=337

I hope not. As someone in Car Talk already mentioned the Z's should always be 6 cylinders, it's all about 1 upping the V8 guys. Why put a V8 in when you can turbo/super charge the 6 and get 400, 500, 600+ HP? Who needs the weight?

It does look nice though :).

Post Edited (Oct 26, 12:55pm)

·
Registered
958 Posts
lol. Thats what I thought Z's were all about... you know... excluding z28's and such. lol. What does the Z stand for anyway? Oh well, I'm sure it will be a very nice car that everyone will "oooh" and "ahh" over. I'd like one.

Hey, just a thought, has anyone heard of Nissan coming out with any of the "Super Cars"? I've seen a few shows on the "Super Cars." Not sure if Nissan came out w/ one.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
****, i love my 300 hp. sbc powered 240'zs. the white one's a 700r4 automatic trans. the red one's a t5. catch me if you can. hase'nt been done yet. i'd like to see your 600+ hp. 6 cyl. street car. you guys are reading too many magazines and smoking too much crack.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
you got 440 hp and run a 12.45 in a 3000k lb car? you should be turning 8's either the dyno is lying to you or you been smokin crack too. to many mods to list? too much BS.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Are you kidding? I should be running 8s what a joke. Get a fucking clue you act like this is something outlandish, its not. Many people are running similar times with similar setups that I have in the Z31. Do some research and get back to me

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
According to this your trap speed is right on, but you're probably having some traction problems. I can see mid-high 11's....

<http://www.az-zbum.com/hp.calculator.shtml>

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Recently it seems that Nissan ditched the classic Z image and taken on a new image for their Z's.

T-tops, which were almost a Z tradition, have been lost. They replaced the targas with god-awful ugly 350Z roadsters.
Since the 280ZX, there has always been a n/a engine and a turbo engine. The 350Z did away with the turbo as well.
Z's used to be edgy and have sharp lines. Even the Z32, which was smoothed out quite a bit over the Z31, still had a definite sharpness to it. The 350Z is bulbous and rounded.
They used to omit all of that crap that a sports car didn't require in the Z, but now the 350Z is covered with cheap bulky plastic parts, digital this, and computer controlled that. The gas pedal is no longer connected to the throttle body, instead a computer "knows how fast you want to go" and tells a solenoid to control the throttle. ****, you don't even need to check your tire pressure anymore because the car will tell you when it thinks you should put more air in (or take air out).

Now, there is pretty much one last Z tradition to remain: the 6 cylinder engine. Now I know a lot of people, expecially those who own older Z's, will throw an old V8 block into their car. I fully support this because I fully support people performing modifications to their cars and being original. But I cannot believe that Nissan would really throw a V8 in from the factory. The Z as I love it is slowly becoming something different and I am upset.

Sorry, I just feel a need to rant tonight.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Actually, they tried to go back to the classic Z image.

T-Tops didn't become an option until 8 years after the Z's introduction.
Turbos didn't become an option until 11 years after the Z's introduction.
AC, electonics, extra insulation, and power this and power that became standard with the 280ZX, 8 years after the Z's introduction.
The inline 6 was dropped in 1984 even though they had a new inline 6 motor they could have used (the RB).

IMO: The 350Z has the worst of all the years combined into one package.
- Heavy power everything ****. (DVD Nav system? come on!)
- All the extra insullation for sound deadening.
- No t-tops.
- No inline 6.
- No turbo option.
- Not a great weight distribution.
- Big, bulbous car, but NO trunk space.
- Shared platform with many other vehicles.

The only good thing about it? It's relatively affordable.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Hey AZ, you sure you're right on that? If ttops came out in either 80 or 81, that'd be 10-11 years after production started. The turbo one is right on though.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Domdogg, With not so good Drag Radials and a open diff traction was definitly a problem im quessing I could have seen a 12.0-12.2 with proper tires and with a better 60 ft. I just really wanted to see what the car could do with a mostly internally stock motor and open diff. Now the Diff is welded and I am in the process of building a new motor so next season will be a different story.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
t-tops didn't become an option until the introduction of the 280ZX model (1979, I was off by a year)
turbos didn't become an option until 1981 (otherwise, the 10th AE's might have been turbos).

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
I thought t-tops didn't come out until the 1980 year of the 280zx? Either way your points are right on AZ_ZBum.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Another thing I noticed from 2 seconds browsing over the 350Z forums, most (not all) 350Z owners have more money than brains. There's no Z car loyalty, just something they spend their money on until something "better" comes out or should I say something more riced out with a 9ft wing and big sticker on the side.

Im just jealous mostly that I dont have the coin to buy a 350Z but if I did I wouldn't be looking to get rid of it anytime soon otherwise I wouldn't of bought it in the first place! Seems that 350Z's get the attention of alot of deep pocket race driver wanna-bes with the attention span of a 5 year old.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
I've noticed that the 350Z drivers (some, as you said, not all) are fucking lazy. they would rather pay $50 for a dealership to change their oil than take ten minutes and dirty their hands. and you're right, no Z loyalty, unless they own another Z as well.. I find it disconcerting and kind of pathetic.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.