ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a tried and true front end swap fro my Z. I am equiping it with a narrowed 9 Ford rear end, quad link supported, and Chevy V-8ing it. Has anyone with good information about a front axle/spindle/rack and pinion/IFS......something outstanding for better brakes, respondsiveness, cornering.......etc... A canyon raceing is its final destination. Thanks

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
> Looking for a tried and true front end swap
> fro my Z. I am equiping it with a narrowed
> 9 Ford rear end, quad link supported,
> and Chevy V-8ing it. Has anyone with good
> information about a front axle/spindle/rack
> and pinion/IFS......something outstanding
> for better brakes, respondsiveness,
> cornering.......etc.
-----------------------------------------------
I am not aware of any radical front end swaps for the early Z car, but I have heard of a ZX power steering setup being worked up. You might check out Michael Spreadbury's radical 5 lug, RX-t/300ZX double A arm custom modification at my site. You may recognise Michael as the 510 editor of Z car magazine. Even though his mod was to a 510, the early Z cars share similar front suspensions. You will find Michael's famous strutless wonder in the Shasta 98 Datsun meet preview section. Click on the Shasta 98 graphic at http://www.jps.net/zparts/zptech.html

Eric Neyerlin

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that Arizona Z has some front end suspension and brake stuff for early Z cars. They have pictures on their web site. It is pretty pricy though. I have heard that Arizona Z's fiberglass stuff was pretty crappy but I hadn't heard anything about whether or not the mechanical stuff was any good. Just a question but if you want to build a canyon racer why would you take out the IRS and put in a live axle. It seems like a huge step in the wrong direction. I know many people think that the Datsun rear differential is weak, but I and many others totally disagree. I have a V8 71 240 and I once thought the Datsun differential was weak. I updated to an R200 and found that the R180 was still in great shape after 100 K and several years on a fairly strong V8. Also the front suspension in my car has worked very well in the stock configuration with common performance updates. As far as the brakes go I agree that the stock stuff and even the Toyota conversion stuff Isn't very good. I'm not trying to be an idiot and be argumentative I just thought I'd give my perspective. Have a great day.
Sean Boyle

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
> Sean Boyle
Sean, I don't have the experiance some may have of actual canyon raceing, just remember what my old 73-Z was like on the road.....and with the technology available in the Ford 9 modified four link suspention, it has to be worth a try. I never had any real problems with my 240 except the rear end......I had the misfortune of scattering it all over the road...... that was with a stock, maybe not so stock factory six. I am just playing. Fact is, I can only go 65mph in our state, so the only real fun, is how fast I can get there :) Thanks for the feed back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.