ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1983 280zx is sucking up twice as much gas. My gas mileage is about 9 mpg. It started out not wanting to idle. The engine would cut out every time it idled. Now it won't even start. Turns over and acts like it wants to start, but the engine never grabs and starts. Seems to be a gas flow problem. Can someone help me.

Dan

·
Registered
996 Posts
Dan-If you're getting 9 miles to the gallon, fuel flow is not a problem! Its tough to diagnose an issue like this with the information you've given but most likely the problem is one of a few issues (maybe more than one). First, check all your vacuum hoses and their connections. Make sure your egr valve, cold start valve, air regulator and your aac valve are operating correctly.
If all those items are functioning correctly, check your ignition, first pull a plug and check for spark, if no spark, work your way back until you find the problem. If you don't have a factory manual, try to get one or at least a Haynes manual. You'll probably find it helpful to report and question this forum as you progress. Be sure to give as much information as you can, including symptoms, what you've done, replaced, etc.
Be patient and methodical, trouble shooting these cars isn't difficult, just time consuming.
Dan

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Very good advice from Greydog.

I would further suggest that you put a fuel pressure gage between the fuel filter and the fuel line going to the fuel rail. What is the fuel pressure while you are trying to start the engine?

Wayne Monteath
Masham, Quebec.

·
Registered
47 Posts
in addition to what greydog mentioned check your o2 sensor...a bad sensor or melted/shorted wires to sensor will cause the engine to run extremely rich

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
plug are probably fouled

with it running so rich and decided not to run.
i bet you 10 bucks its the cold start valve stuck open

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.