ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
am replacing my 280 z engine. (threw a rod) I am buying a used motor from a wrecked car. What is the compression expected range value. I am going to have a compression done before I buy and we are supposed to do a dry,then wet(oil in cylinder...sounds strange to me), but if we do an oil in cylinder wont that give a higher reading than what is supposed to be normal? Well if any of you guys out there know what is going to be done what are the
normal ranges and how much oil to use 1cc or 5cc or what? Well whatmeasurement is to be expected to be....THANKS

·
Registered
269 Posts
The reason for adding oil to the cylinder is if one cylinder is down and you add oil it will tell you whether it is the head or the rings.Add oil and the comp. stays the same then it is the head that is the problem and if it goes up then it is the block. Make sure all of the cylinders are reading pretty close to the same comp. and as far the amount of oil I just used an old oiling can and gave it a good squirt. I believe the comp. should be around 180.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi -

Yup . . everything the previous person said was 100% correct.

Steve in NJ

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey, perfect timing...I'm needin' a compression check myself. Hey Lee, I see you're a netINS customer. Where are ya? I'm in DSM, and just got my 240z.

-Kurt

·
Registered
362 Posts
The other guys are right on, however matched cylinders that are adjacent COULD be a sign of a 'burnt' head gasket. But they also could just both be low. That is 1=167 2=167 3=187 4=179 5=185 6=183. This is were a leakdown test comes in. The two suspect cyl. would leak down fast, by a lot, then the other four. So whats the full story on the 'Rebel Rod'.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.