ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 77 4spd 280z I'm in the process of breathing life into again. It's sat idle since 88. Along with the typical problems, the rubber bushings used throughout the front and rear suspension look pretty whacked, so I'd like to hear your ideas on Urethane vs stock rubber replacements. I'd like the handling improvements talked about in the posts, but don't want to jar my teeth out in driving the car. Would all stock rubber be best, or are there certain parts that would be best done with urethane (since the stuff wasn't around in 77).

If anyone has gone through the process of bringing an old Z out of mothballs and has any good advice on what other surprises to watch out for, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have replaced both front and rear bushing on my 280zx. The handling has significantly improved, yes it is a little harsher but the trade off is well worth the effort (not teeth jarring at all). What also you could consider is sports springs and shocks inline with how you are going to drive the Z.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Poly has it's place,but it's not in any of the pivot points.If you look at how the stock bushing was desinged you will see that it does not rotate but deflects in the center.Poly forces the bushing to pivot on the bolt,in essence becoming a bearing surface(sticky hard plastic does not make good bearings).They do tighten things up by not allowing any deflection at the pivot point,but this becomes a trade off for the increased bind they introduce to gain this deflection advantige.Now all this assumes that the poly bushings come in the correct size,but one trip to the archives will convince you that there are some pretty badly oversize poly bushings out there.Here's my opionion
New rubber Nissan bushings for the front and rear control arms
Poly for the steering rack and coupler (if you can find some that actually fit well)
Poly for the sway bars(remember to clean the bar and wrap it with teflon tape at the frame mounts)
As far as the drivetrain goes there is not much debate here since the only poly i know of is the mustache bar bushings.Nissan still sells motor,trans,and diff mounts new that are not extreamly expensive, but are of high quality and fit like they are supposed to.The only bad side to new rubber is that they come with a new outer shell so extraction of the old shell out of the control arms can be a pain.Well worth it in my opionion to not have to listen to the constant poly noise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.