ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to instal Front bushings on an 83 zx this weekend. Seems as how a lot of people have trouble pressing a bushing into the control arm. Can you use grease to help this or does this damage the bushing? Also is a soft faced vice ok to use? Or since I'm have the rotors machined just let the shop instal? Any other heads up are appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The hard part, at least on my '80, was getting the old bushing out, not puting the new one in. The new urethane bushings did not get pressed in... they just slide in. The old bushing needs to be pressed out. If you're taking the control arm out anyway, take it to a shop and have them do it. I did it on the car by making my own press out of threaded rod, nuts, and different sizes of pipe. I still had to heat the bushing a bit to break it loose. And an impact wrench sure helps.

Dave

·
Registered
29 Posts
if you are using urethane, you only need to press the old bushings out. you can install the urethane bushings by hand all by yourself. installing new oem type rubber bushings is a pain, because it's tough to find the correct sized driver. if you don't want to deal with it, have the machine shop press them.

Casper

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.