ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I get the two upper bolts off the bellhousing? I can't figure out how to get a wrench to them.

Thanks,
Nic

Post Edited (Nov 15, 6:21pm)

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Take off the intake, and theres plenty of room or you can do the exhuast and get a little more...It was really easy without the heads also =D

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
arrr how how how? I thought i was done.. darn bolts.. how do I take the intake off?

sorry, frustration kicking in

gotta remember, when you're about to throw the wrench, take a break.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmm... is there such a thing as a wrench where you don't have to move the wrench? like maybe with an electric motor at the end or with a chain moving along the length of the wrench so you turn something at the beginning of the handle? that would be pretty sweet right now.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
With the help of a friend we were actually able (without that much trouble) to manuver my regular sized socket wrench with the appropriate socket onto these two bolts.

It took some patience and steady pressure to break the bolts loose but we did it without much struggle.

I didn't have to remove the intake or anything of that sort!

I couldn't have done it without a buddy though!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This gives me hope. I was on the brink of despair.

The first step in the Haynes manual to take the air intake off is to let the engine run in idle for 15 minutes. This is highly impractical in the current situation, and it was followed by about a million more steps.

Stu85na - did you get the wrench in down from the hood, or from under the car? Neither one seems to give room to break the bolts loose, much less unbolt them.

Thanks,
Nic

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Get a universal joint for your socket, a 6" extension and foot long extension. it should bed up there. have a set of hand guid the wrench to the bolts from the behind the intake manifold.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
ok what you need is if its a manual tranny is a 13mm socket/swivel/its the one that is a swivel and a socket.

you also need about two feet worth of extensions and some patience

trust me this will work, ive done it to 3 z31s and my z32 this way and it worked fine

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
BTW, I think you may want to put a bottom bolt back in and remove the top two first. That way you can put the jack under the tranny and unbolt the bottom one easily, rather than letting it just fall on your chest when you finish unbolting it from the top.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
1698408112 -

I brought the "Socket Wrench" (not a regular flat wrench) down from the top with the help of a buddy who fished it to me while I was underneath the car with my arms up near those two upper bellhousing bolts. Between the two of us we directed the socket over the bolt and went to town.

There isn't much room to break it loose but there is enough, if you are patient.

This is what worked for me but I would try all of these suggestions until you find one that works for you.

I wouldn't remove the intake myself unless it's last resort. Keep it simple when you can!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought a ratchet from MAC tools and the actual handle spins to turn the socket, works really good.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tmacis300z - do you know what the name of that tool is?

I got the transmission out and old clutch out.. putting everything back together will be tough. I used the crazy u-joint/extention method of getting those bolts out, but it was quite difficult, and getting them back in that way will be way harder.. agh.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Clutch jobs are always fun on these cars. I don't know how some of the people here on the board do it in a few hours! It took me quite a little while, but I don't have any advanced tools, a lift, or the like.

You'll get there, you're on the downhill side now!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does it matter which way the throw-out bearing goes on? One side of it is flat for the most part, the other side is farther out towards the center.

I had the engine bellhousing bolts all layed out in the order I took them out so they wouldn't get mixed up, but someone kicked them all over (yeah.. they were on the floor). There are two lengths, short and long, plus one a little longer, so pretty much all I need to know is where the longest one goes, so if anyone knows that it would help.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i put the bearing in the way it looks like it's in in the haynes manual.

is 10W-30 good for transmission oil?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.