Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Well the brain came in on Wednesday morning as planned. I took my chances and drove Spooky down to the auto parts store thinking I would make the swap there. Opened the new ECU and shook it. It sounded like it was filled with marbles. You could literally rotate it and hear things falling around in it. $222, I don't think so! My keen sense of mechanical knowledge told me this was not the unit I wanted to stick in my 77. I told them to hold off for a while. I contacted the local Z car club to see if anyone had a spare brain that I could borrow for a few days to confirm that is was the problem. Got to drive around for about an hour before the quitting started happening again. So after it would set for a while I could start it and head home. Got right in front of the house and tapped the ECU for the **** of it and sure enough it quit. Should have waited until I had it in the garage before I tapped it. We have one of those rather long sandstone bumpy driveways.

On a lighter side, my wife seems to get a genuine joy out of yelling, "Go faster, go faster!" as I'm pushing her down the driveway to the garage. I love this car and I look forward restoring it, driving it and to the day when I can turn it off and start it for the **** of it.

Thanks again for all the help.

John

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hi. Take the cover off the ECU and re-solder the connections where the wireing harness connectors mount on the board. Also look for any other solder joints the factory may have missed. I fought this problem for three years before I found it. 25 year old solder gets flaky, especially with the vibration and movement of the wiring harness. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
When you say "Got to drive around for about an hour before the quitting started happening again". Is this with the borrowed ECU?

Do you know anyone that would let you put your ECU in their car?

Wayne Monteath
Masham, Quebec.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wayne,

I have been driving around with the old original ECU. That is an excellent idea to put Spooky's brain in an already good running Z. That is why I contacted the local Z car club to see if I could get a loaner. Also, I drove it around today and it ran well. I've been sticking to the neighboorhood for obvious reasons but could not kill it this morning. And when it runs, man does it run. I have no complaints there. My theory is there is a weak transistor in the ECU. When it heats up it fails. However, in the mornings when it is cold or as in the case of this morning when I drove around with the windows down and it was about 35 degrees it started fine, warmed up fine and ran fine. Yesterday when it was a hotter day, 60s, it was quitting on me. I read suggestions about the ignition module under the passenger side interior wall but that is brand new.

I look forward to hearing from someone local with a spare brain or who would consider installing Spooky's brain and see what happens. That's a great idea. Thanks again.

John

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Definitely the car with the wife driving. I used to push her down the driveway but she started liking it so I had to quit. Guess I should have been clearer on that one. Later. John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.