ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well im happy but im sad too...i finally got the crankshaft bolt off...thanks to all on this forum who gave me ideas....well to make a long story short....the tensioner on the timing belt took a s***...it still on its mount but the bearing in it took a dive... the belt is still on and i think the timing belt may have jumped....i thinks its worth replacing with a new timing belt and tensioner and setting the timing to see if at least she'll start and run....whaddyall think? should i give it a go? also im having trouble getting a new spring for the tensioner...all parts stores have the tensioner but no tensioner spring...where can i get both from? if the valves were bent can i get some heads from another vg30 and put them on?...id do almost anything to feel the wind thru my t tops at 115 MPH again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1986 nissan 300z na

1981 nissan 200sx (252000 and still rollin)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Edited (May 27, 5:12pm)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Don't need the spring...

Just do a new tensioner and stud... The stud is as important as the new tensioner. Get genuine Nissan stuff.

Heck yes, do it. If the valves are bent take those heads and refurbish them. Don't waste your time installing used parts that may have their own problems.

BTW, you are aware of the other needful things to be done while you're working in this area, yes?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You sure about the spring? cause the one i have on there is a little rusted...as far as genuine nissan stuff...the local dealer here is a ripoff cause they are the only dealer here. you have any ideas where i can get the stud and tensioner from at a pretty good price? if i find the the valves are bent then im guessing i can purchase new ones and the rest of the stuff that i need for them and install them?..im thinking its just best to rebuild the engine if possible? this will be my first attempt at a rebuild...im thinkin some hoses waterpump and the camshaft seal...crankshaft seal can be replaced while im doing that stuff also? i didnt know the stud was replaceable...is this the stud for the springstop or the stud that the tensioner mounts to?....i gotta say youve got a ride like no other z ive ever seen....nice ...VERY nice!!!!!!!

1986 nissan 300zx na

1981 datsun 200sx (252000 miles and still going!)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Here is a reputable dealer = Courtesy Nissan Parts

You'll notice they have included the tensioner spring and ommitted the tensioner stud from their kit. I would argue my point from now on that they have goofed. Also missing from their kit is the crankshaft seal, as well as, the CHTS w/harness.

Don't sweat the valves. If they're damaged you'll have a good excuse to freshen up the heads.

VG30 engines are fun

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks johnZboy...i would like to do a turbo swap but for right now ive gotta conquer my first rebuild engine fear...ive been checkin out some of these sites and the procedures in makin a na to a turbo...it looks complicated...well i would think finding the parts would be...i have locate a turbo motor though...and i must say im interested.....i see youve got the pathy intake along with a lot of other goodies....youve got an awesome car!!!

preciate your help and encouragement!!!

1986 nissan 300zx na

1981 datsun 200sx (251000 miles and still goin!)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Author: DarylHewitt
Date: May 29, 2:14pm
Asked:

"john z boy, wanna send some money my way??"

Sure... How much do you think you're worth?
Nevermind, just take what you need.

Post Edited (May 29, 3:50pm)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.