ZCar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just purchased my first car, a 280zx and am new to getting dirty under the hood, so take it easy on me. I am currently working on installing a cold air intake and have ran into a hiccup that I cannot seem to find anything about. There seems to be two hoses leading into the air cleaner, one leading to the air flow meter and one leading to an unknown destination. If anyone knows what this is or what I should do to filter whatever this hose is leading to that would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a few images below.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think it's called an Air Induction Valve. And if so, I assume your car is a 1980, non-CA car, as is sounds like this is the only model that has this feature. Apparently it feeds fresh air into the exhaust manifold to aid with combustion of contaminants.

It appears others just leave it open and run with it or put some type of filter on the end. That box you circled is supposedly a filter so if you leave that hose open, you probably want to clean that filter often. Personally, I think the factory setup works great as is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for your help. I ended up ordering a k&n breather filter so that should do the trick, the filter in the air induction valve definitely needed some cleaning

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Follow the hose back until you find the metal tube that comes off of the front of the exhaust manifold. You can cap it off however you want, it won't hurt anything. Then put a rubber cap on the nipple on the air cleaner housing and install your stock air cleaner back onto your zx. Now look at where the inlet is for your stock air cleaner. It's in the front of the radiator, your zx has cold air intake right out of the factory. If you put the snorkel tube back on the air cleaner then it's getting air from under the front of the car so it's still cold air. This system protects your engine if you ever go through a sheen of water coming from another car which can cause damage if it goes into the intake system. Installing a cone filter is a complete waste of money on these cars. It won't add any horsepower or fuel economy AND it leaves your engine exposed to water and other contaminants. You're listening to marketing experts that know how to fatten their clients pocket book by misleading the buying public when you should be thinking things through on your own or listening to people like myself. CAI is a good thing on some cars, but not on z's. If you want to put a K&N filter in the stock air cleaner so you have a cleanable unit then that is fine. Z man of Washington

1 - 4 of 4 Posts