ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a clunkish-pinging noise when i shift gears and the engine isnt going as fast as the rear wheels or when i am idealing and punch it kind of hard. the noise is most prevealent between the drive's and passenger's seat, right around the end of the transmission. my dad thinks that it is the universial joint. we checked all the local parts stores except the dealer and no one has one.

does this sound right to yall? my z does have 224,000 miles on it. if so, is the dealer or junk yard the only place i can get one?

thanks
zelotic

·
Registered
493 Posts
Universal joint is not replaceable, unless you take the driveshaft to a machine shop for some custom work. C-clip grooves would have to be cut into the yokes, and, probably the yokes would have to be bored to a size that would accept a u-joint that is available. Only the machinist could guide you through this.

Otherwise, you're stuck with a new driveshaft from the dealer, or, a hopefully good one from a boneyard.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

·
Registered
782 Posts
Well go underneath your car and have it in gear and see if there is alot of slop in the joints, Also check your tranny mount it it is ripped it would make a similar noise.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the input guys.. i really appreiciate the help

·
Registered
362 Posts
I had to replace the U-joints in my car. I removed the shaft and took it to a place in Atlanta called Driveline. $208 later I have a balanced, straighted, shaft with new, replaceable, greaseable joints. I think that is the best route. They even painted it up all pretty...lol

·
Registered
782 Posts
Thats a nice looking car you have john.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having a problem with my driveshaft. I was told it is the universal joint. How much does a machine shop charge to fix that? Just curious because I have to put it in the shop. Can anyone tell me?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.