ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reassembling my rear half shafts and rotating them I noticed one is really out of balance. Is this going to be a problem? I will try flipping the flange mounting 180 deg tonight, maybe I put them on wrong, but if there is still an unbalance what should I do?

Thanks for the help! Scott

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Less severe problem than unbalance driveshaft due to lower rpms. Seems to me OEM half-shafts had no factory balancing. At least none that I've seen have any weld-on weights.

A driveline specialty shop can balance 'em for you if you got trouble.

How did you check balance? If you MUST (not recommended) run engine w/ car on stands, be sure to put stands under wheel hubs to keep half-shafts close to normal geometry.

On the road, half-shaft unbalance will feel same as wheel unbalance due to same rpm. Probably not noticeable till you get to super-legal speeds.

Next time be sure to mark alignment of all parts prior to disassembly. I learned that the hard way, too.

Ye ol school o hard knockers!
Good luck!
Al

PS: OEM u-joints highly recommended. These include precision clips for accurate centering/preload of u-joint. Several horror stories related to aftermarket u-joints in the forum below.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.