ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning before I took off I decided to look under the hood(I like to do that) and while there I checked fluid levels. Radiator kinda low...2 liter bottle worth. Filled it up and came on to work. When I got here I checked again and it's a little low again.I noticed some water appearing to come from around the water pump (or at least the front of the engine).What are the possibilities here. I didnt have time to thoroughly look before I had to get to work .Can anyone take a shot at the culprit? Oh yeah , it's a 78 280Z
Thanks as usual
Frankie

·
Registered
307 Posts
Check your hoses, there is also an opening to the bearings that may leak if the seal has gone. The seal can also leak from the shaft in front. The fan will move if the bearings are going or gone which will compromise the seal. Grab a blade and see if the fan assembly moves if you try to push it front to back (in line with the engine)

If the bearings are going take care of it right away or you may be replacing a radiator as well.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
My 78 started to leak around the water pump...sounds like that may be the problem...try tightening (carefully!!) the bolts...or maybe removing the pump & installing a new gasket might work...Good Luck :eek:)

·
Registered
533 Posts
sounds like your water pump. Replace it soon or the shaft could break off and send the fan spiining into your radiator.

Water pump should cost $50 or less. New Radiator costs about $200.

It's an easy job - be careful not to snap the bolts off!!

good luck.
Garry 82zx

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
You just aren't having a good time of it, are you?

Water pumps are cheap (any parts store), and easy to replace. Well worth the insurance.

How are the other issues coming?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Just changed the pump on my sons 79zx (same as your water pump) this last weekend. Got it at Autozone for 21.56 including tax and it comes with the new fan studs and the gasket.

It is rare for the pump to begin leaking around the housing unless something sets it off like maybe having taken it off for another reason or because of an overheat. Like some one mentioned there is a weep hole on the underside of the pump shaft and if ithere is water coming from that then the pump seal has gone south and you will need to change it. Do it ASAP. The problem is not so much the chance of the shaft snapping as it is one of the water level going down enough to cause an overheat and a warped head. Now, thats big bucks and big trouble......

Charles

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.