ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have allways wanted a z and I got my '74 260 a week ago...I noticed a loud clunk from the rear end upon accel and decel...i took it to aamco and was surprised to learn that some z's have 7 u-joints..i was told with independant rear it has 2 half shafts as well as the main driveshaft...the worst part is that some models have u-joints that are non-servicable..and are not made anymore....requiring a machine shop to duplicate...or getting a spare shaft from another car....is this true?...does anyone else know about this?...if I have to swap driveshafts can i use one from a 280?? I'm hoping I dont have anymore surprises like this cause i really like the car

·
Registered
529 Posts
> I have allways wanted a z and I got my '74
> 260 a week ago...I noticed a loud clunk from
> the rear end upon accel and decel...i took
> it to aamco and was surprised to learn that
> some z's have 7 u-joints..i was told with
> independant rear it has 2 half shafts as
> well as the main driveshaft...the worst part
> is that some models have u-joints that are
> non-servicable..and are not made
> anymore....requiring a machine shop to
> duplicate...or getting a spare shaft from
> another car....is this true?...does anyone
> else know about this?...if I have to swap
> driveshafts can i use one from a 280?? I'm
> hoping I dont have anymore surprises like
> this cause i really like the car

I can's remember which Z's have non-replaceable u-joints, i think it's all 280's. However, I would be willing to bet that the clunk you are hearing is due to the front differential mount rather than a u-joint. It is true that the Z-Cars have 6 u-joints, but they are no less reliable than those of other vehicles. The front diff mount is notorious for separating and causes a severe clunking upon accelleration/decelleration. However, do check all 6, not 7, of the u-joints.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is true that some Z's have irriplacable u-joints but the 260 is not one of them. You should be able to get u-joints at any parts store. To make sure that it is really one of the 6, not 7, u-joints that is damaged a: jack car up or put on lift, b: move the tires forward or backward while watching the joints. If the clunk is as bad as you say, you should be able to see movement within the joint. If you dont see any movement within one (or more) of the joints, then check the diff mount.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.