Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. two questions.

1. What is the most powerful turbo that I could put on my VG30ET without major welding or whatnot? It seems that the T3/T4 is popular amongst 84s...

2. For those that bought a Certified Muffler 3 in turbo-back for their 84-86, how much did it cost you and which one did you pick (aluminized or stainless)? I checked the site and the price for either of them are pretty ridiculous for me cuz I could get a custom turbo back for $150. but the all the buzz has been for CM and I don't want to half ass my baby and buy a custom pipe.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
myfirstcar wrote:
> 1. What is the most powerful turbo that I could put on my
> VG30ET without major welding or whatnot? It seems that the
> T3/T4 is popular amongst 84s...

Without any work? T3/T4.

> 2. For those that bought a Certified Muffler 3 in turbo-back
> for their 84-86, how much did it cost you and which one did you
> pick (aluminized or stainless)? I checked the site and the
> price for either of them are pretty ridiculous for me cuz I
> could get a custom turbo back for $150. but the all the buzz
> has been for CM and I don't want to half ass my baby and buy a
> custom pipe.

I seriously doubt the $150 is mandral bent 3" or that it is flanged to allow easy removal when needed. I chose the CM aluminized because I don't have to worry about rust. And the prices are clearly listed on their site, so asking what someone else paid is rather silly.

·
Registered
76 Posts
1) there is no answer to this question

2) if you can get someone to build you a mandrel bent, bolt together (flanged), with hangers, and muffler, in 3" pipe, all for $150 go for it. I have a feeling whatever price someone told you is not for the same product as CM provides. Print some pictures of a CM system, and tell them to make it, you will be requoted.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i asked how much anyone got their CM 3in turbo back referring to anyone that might have bought it somewhere else. I'm unfamiliar with this brand of muffler so I'm unsure if they sell these anywhere else besides the website.

hmm when you say there is no answer, are you saying the stock T3 is as strong as it can get without major welding? Well, aside that what's the most powerful turbo i can put on with major welding. With my stock turbo, I'm boosting 7, which is supposedly its max (according to the 84ae specs). I want to boost something near 20, for a significant difference in power.

oh yeah, buying the CM 3in turbo back doesn't require you to custom bend it for your z31 right?

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
myfirstcar wrote:
> i asked how much anyone got their CM 3in turbo back referring
> to anyone that might have bought it somewhere else. I'm
> unfamiliar with this brand of muffler so I'm unsure if they
> sell these anywhere else besides the website.

You should take 30 seconds and read their site. Like, that introduction part.

> hmm when you say there is no answer, are you saying the stock
> T3 is as strong as it can get without major welding? Well,
> aside that what's the most powerful turbo i can put on with
> major welding. With my stock turbo, I'm boosting 7, which is
> supposedly its max (according to the 84ae specs). I want to
> boost something near 20, for a significant difference in power.

The sky is the limit. But if you are looking for stuff based off boost pressure, you're going about it all wrong.

> oh yeah, buying the CM 3in turbo back doesn't require you to
> custom bend it for your z31 right?

Direct bolt on. No modifications required.

·
Registered
353 Posts
what about the jwt turbos arent those bolt ons too? and boost is crap, you have to go by the flow numbers and the look the maps so you can see iotitll hold that pressure at wha efficiency rates , i have gone through my maximum boost book by corky bell twice and i still have questions when i look at a flow map , how about those "gt30's they sell on ebay , they say they are t3 flanged and also gt32"s i was thinking on one of those but have now come to find out that they wont flow my goal power of 400, am i right ? also is a gt35 flanged for a t3 or are all the gt's flanged for gt specific manifolds?

i think if you can buy some 3 inch mandrel bent u's from ebay and some v band clamps you can have a muffler shop weld you a one off exhaust for less than the cm unit , i think with three u's and flanges for the downpipe ,onto the cat(if you have one and some straight 3 inch tubing(the muffler shop provides that at a costof course ) you can have it done , also i was looking at my exhaust and noticed the bend that goes over the rear irs looks like its out of its way and it may be easier to go under thru the middle (right by the differential) would this have and effect on the diffy , would the heat make not last as long or something , as it look it would give a more straight shot out towards the back it went under.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"The sky is the limit. But if you are looking for stuff based off boost pressure, you're going about it all wrong."

well, how do I go about it all right? I'm looking for some efficient, consistent power.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
You're looking at more air flow not just more boost.

Different turbos will give out more air at different PSI's.

For example, stock t25 at 15 psi will be less air than a larger t3/t4 hyrbid turbo at 10psi.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.