ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother and I were talking about this earlier, this is assuming you have a boost controller....

The way the system is setup, both boost lines from the turbo are looped to each other, and T'd in the middle for the boost controller to connect. So, the boost controller just measures/alters the total combined boost of both turbos, correct? And then it puts out whatever set amount of boost into the intake.

Now, since there is just one solenoid measuring the combined boost of both turbos, how would you know if one turbo was boosting low? If one was boosting low, you wouldn't know because you'd simply turn up the dial to make it reach say 15psi, but in reality wouldn't it just be boosting one side higher to compensate? One turbo may only be boosting 5psi, and it is making the other side boost 10psi to reach the 15 mark. I guess this pertains to right after you've installed a boost controller, because once you've set a certain amount of boost you would obviously later be able to tell if you dropped in PSI, indicating an uneven spread. But you wouldn't know from right off the bat if you're making them boost unevenly.

I just don't see how you'd know if you were boosting unevenly. Granted, an even amount of boost will enter the motor via the balance tube, etc.. but the question is regarding the turbos themselves.

Does this make sense? Or am I missing a vital part of the way the motor works...

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Seems like even if you had 2 boost gauges, getting readings from 2 different places, once the system becomes 'pressurized' under boost, they would read the same.... I dunno.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Well, you're measuring compressed air. Since both turbos are on the same circuit... whether one is working harder than the other, the pressure on the output side of the turbos are going to be the same. So... you'd have to come up with another way of measuring the load on the turbos...

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, but is it possible for one to be boosting at a totally different psi than the other, without it being noticeable to the driver? Kinda scares me thinking that one of my turbos could be under a lot more stress than the other.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Think of it this way... You have a balloon, with two air tubes. I'm blowing on one end, and this beautiful blonde is blowing on the other end. She can be doing all the blowing, but since the guages are on the tubes going into the balloon, the only measure is of the balloon's PSI. Doesn't matter that she's doing all the blowing, I'm going to be enjoying her hard work.

Quagmire: Giggidy giggidy

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I understand that... what I'm wondering is, would you be able to tell if you were boosting one side harder than the other? Is it possible for that to happen and you not notice?

Like I said in the original post... "Granted, an even amount of boost will enter the motor via the balance tube, etc.. but the question is regarding the turbos themselves"

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Unless your bearings are so shot that your blowing smoke or your compression is so low that you have dead cyls, your turbos are going to boost nearly the same.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
a siezed turbo on one side would restrict flow badly for that side, and your boost would be very low, it would be lower than just half because half the exhuast wouldnt then be working to power the turbo, so it would be somethign like a 1/4 of the boost.

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right, but if you had just set up a boost controller on a motor that you didn't know the condition of the turbos, how would you know that by turning the dial way up to reach 15psi, youre not actually pushing one turbo that hard?

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
The ONLY thing you can do... and I'm not 100% sure this will work, is to rig up a couple of AFM's on the output side of the turbos. Not sure that they would be able to stand up to the heat though...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.