ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Twin turbo vs. turbo

328 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Lee Smith 
#1 ·
In about a year I am going to rebuild my 72 240, and i want to put a turbo in it, i was wondering what would be better performace wise for the price, twin turbos cost more but is it that much of a difference for the extra you pay. I don't really know much about turbo's and money really isn't a big deal. so any input and advice would be much appreciated.
thanks
kyle

#2 ·
I would strongly suggest that you search the archives regarding turbo swaps...lots and lots of info. If money isnt a big deal ill send you my mailing address...Money is always part of the deal in this household...tks in advance.

#3 ·
Twins will spool up a little quicker due to the less rotating weight. Either one will make as much power as you need though. If you aren't looking for alot of power the stock T3's spool up IMO quick enough. I don't want to come acrossed as being to rude but if you're going to turbo your car you should get some books and start reading. It's not like swapping carbs.

#4 ·
Turbo=psi

Twins will 'Spool up' faster but the initial cost is greater and the rebuild cost is greater. There is some turbo rebuilder that will replace the 'guts' of the stock casting with his stuff that will build more boost. I think stock is like 6 psi or so, and he claimed his to 30 psi or something... can't confirm that however I never bought one and that was a few years back. But the point is that a turbos build psi, two units will not make more boost just make it faster. There is a limit to usable boost and that depends on the engine dynamics (compression, displacement, etc.) On hot days I've heard about Diesels with too much boost start to melt the exhaust ports inside the head. WOW!

#5 ·
i dont know....the twin is faster...(not a lot)..or @ least "the cars" that have the twin are a little faster.....(than a "82/83" zxt).....dont know what a 82-3 car w/a twin would do.....ive never heard of anybody doing it.......but i would think the expense and trouble wouldnt pay off.....i asked the same question a while back...and the opinion of the people i talked to @ the time was you could put in a v-8 easier than a twin ........i think an 82-3 l28zxt w/p90 heads...would go better and w/the money you save....you can intercool it put in larger inj's etc and by the time youve spent as much as you would have (putting in the twin) you have an engine that will dramatically out perform it.(the twin being stock)..........you can do the same w/the twin and it will out perform the l28....but i believe you'll pay "a whole" lot more.....i believe the l28et is much more similar (to what you have) than the twin...... s

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.