ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I told you all that I was going to install this system on one of my customer's cars and let you all know how well it fit. So here's the skinny...

IT SUCKS!!!

Even the price of $111.75 doesn't make it worth it!

You should have seen the muffler they sent w/it. The pipes were 2.5 and the muffler inlet and outlet were also 2.5. However, the tubes inside the muffler pinched down to a measly 1.75!!! Not only that, but the muffler was quite small and built terribly. So, I bought a Dynomax Super Turbo. OK, muffler problem solved.

Now, to fit the pipes. O, God!!! This is where I got frustrated. This was a 1970 240Z so I built my own downpipe collector to get rid of the aweful restriction in the original Y. That wasn't the problem, however. The problem was that the bends didn't line up in the right places. When I put it all together, the pipe ended up in contact w/the rear suspension crossmember! I had to cut and splice their parts in order to make it fit right.

Now, I have done a lot of custom exhausts, in fact my turbo 240Z has a mandrel bent 3 system that I built. I think that I have enough experience w/exhaust systems to know how to put one together. However, this one is not a bolt on and go type thing. I suppose it would have fit better if I had used the supplied muffler, but that was a piece of crap!!!

So, here is my advice to everyone in search of a good exhaust system:

Get one built at your local muffler shop.

It won't be mandrel bent, but really, what are the hp losses? Not worth the effort in my opinion. If you do want a mandrel bent system, go to summitracing.com and get a Super Turbo muffler for $28.95. Get 2 lengths of 2.5 exhaust tubing for $9.95 each. Get one mandrel U bend for $19.95. Cut the U bend in half and make the S curve for the rear section. Fit as needed. Fabricate this and that until it works. Now you have a mandrel bent exhaust system for only $70. I will be building my own systems from now on according to the customer's needs. You can also bet that I will be using parts from Summit!!!

Anyway, life goes on.

Ian

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Re: Only one "U" bend -here is what I ha

> Well, I told you all that I was going to
> install this system on one of my customer's
> cars and let you all know how well it fit.
> So here's the skinny...

> IT SUCKS!!!

> Even the price of $111.75 doesn't make it
> worth it!

> You should have seen the muffler they sent
> w/it. The pipes were 2.5 and the
> muffler inlet and outlet were also
> 2.5. However, the tubes inside the
> muffler pinched down to a measly
> 1.75!!! Not only that, but the muffler
> was quite small and built terribly. So, I
> bought a Dynomax Super Turbo. OK, muffler
> problem solved.

> Now, to fit the pipes. O, God!!! This is
> where I got frustrated. This was a 1970 240Z
> so I built my own downpipe collector to get
> rid of the aweful restriction in the
> original Y. That wasn't the problem,
> however. The problem was that the bends
> didn't line up in the right places. When I
> put it all together, the pipe ended up in
> contact w/the rear suspension crossmember! I
> had to cut and splice their parts in order
> to make it fit right.

> Now, I have done a lot of custom exhausts,
> in fact my turbo 240Z has a mandrel bent
> 3 system that I built. I think that I
> have enough experience w/exhaust systems to
> know how to put one together. However, this
> one is not a bolt on and go type
> thing. I suppose it would have fit better if
> I had used the supplied muffler, but that
> was a piece of crap!!!

> So, here is my advice to everyone in search
> of a good exhaust system:

> Get one built at your local muffler shop.

> It won't be mandrel bent, but really, what
> are the hp losses? Not worth the effort in
> my opinion. If you do want a mandrel bent
> system, go to summitracing.com and get a
> Super Turbo muffler for $28.95. Get 2
> lengths of 2.5 exhaust tubing for
> $9.95 each. Get one mandrel U
> bend for $19.95. Cut the U bend
> in half and make the S curve for
> the rear section. Fit as needed. Fabricate
> this and that until it works. Now you have a
> mandrel bent exhaust system for only $70. I
> will be building my own systems from now on
> according to the customer's needs. You can
> also bet that I will be using parts from
> Summit!!!

> Anyway, life goes on.

> Ian

A few months ago I build a complete exhaust for my 83ZXT in 76,1 mm stainless steel pipe (the diameter equals 3 but it is reffered as 2,5 in a pipe catalog) and i had to use 4pcs 90 degrees bends and even then make some welded up segment bends to complete the job. I don't know if I could have made the exhaust system more simple (better) but I made mine as close to the original as possible - even the mufflers (silly me) only bigger diameter.

The number of bends as I recall it ads up to this: 3 pcs 90 deg, 2 pcs 45 deg, 2 pcs ~22.5 deg welded, 2 pcs ~14 deg welded.

My next project is to make a straight through muffler with a Y inside made of stainless wire net to devide the 76.1 mm pipe in to two muffler outlets as original exept this time i might go for two 76.1 mm to enhance power, looks and hopefully sound.

The only backside of the story is that the pipe is 2mm thick (couldn't find thinner in stainless) and weighs a little bit more - but i have tried to compensate for the loss by making the mufflers in 0.7mm - I would have preffered 1mm for the hole setup. The 0.7 mm mufflers have a tendensy to make resonance at a combination of low rpm and
hard on power but you can't get it all (I think).

If someone claims that they have made a system that is bigger in dia - they are pretty awsome exhaust builders and propably also capable of making money grow on trees.

I would love to hear about other systems!!

Has anyone build a home made downpipe from the turbo in 3 and how??

Brian Madsen

PS. Is there somebody out there who is interested in buying a used exhaust in say 20 yrs time or so?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I have built a 3 mandrel bent down pipe for my turbo Z. However, my car is a '71 240Z and it will not fit your ZXT as the bodies are slightly different. What I did was make a flange that bolted to the turbo's exhaust housing out of 1/4 plate. Then I cut and spliced 3 mandrel bends until I got the right fitment. I also got rid of the internal wastegate. I ported the **** out of the original wastegate hole and made a matching hole in the flange. I then welded on 1 1/4 exhaust pipe to the Audi external wastegate I got from Pick-A-Part for $20. It works and looks the same as an HK$ external wastegate. The wastegate outlet then dumps back into the 3 downpipe. I plan to put some pics on the net once I get my site up and running. I can email them to you if you'd like, however, they aren't developed yet.

There are ways of doing almost anything in my book. I would be more than happy to build a mandrel bent downpipe for your car. I also have a spare Audi wastegate...

Ian

·
Registered
107,695 Posts

What would you charge for a 3 manderal bent downpipe?

Eric

> I have built a 3 mandrel bent down
> pipe for my turbo Z. However, my car is a
> '71 240Z and it will not fit your ZXT as the
> bodies are slightly different. What I did
{snip etb}

> There are ways of doing almost anything in
> my book. I would be more than happy to build
> a mandrel bent downpipe for your car. I also
> have a spare Audi wastegate...

> Ian

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MANDREL BENT 3" TURBO DOWNPIPE HERE

What Z-Car do you have?

I figure a finished product would run about $250.

The only problem is that I don't have access to a 280ZXT. I could build one for the 240/260/280Z though. Maybe I could find a donor 280ZXT. I could work that out later.

If enough people are interested, maybe I'll put them into production. Let me know.

> What would you charge for a 3 manderal
> bent downpipe?

> Eric
> {snip etb}

·
Registered
57 Posts
Re:I'll take one-83ZXT

> What Z-Car do you have?

> I figure a finished product would run about
> $250.

> The only problem is that I don't have access
> to a 280ZXT. I could build one for the
> 240/260/280Z though. Maybe I could find a
> donor 280ZXT. I could work that out later.

> If enough people are interested, maybe I'll
> put them into production. Let me know.

If you decide to go with it , be sure to post here!!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Re: MANDREL BENT 3" TURBO DOWNPIPE HERE

> What Z-Car do you have?

> I figure a finished product would run about
> $250.

> The only problem is that I don't have access
> to a 280ZXT. I could build one for the
> 240/260/280Z though. Maybe I could find a
> donor 280ZXT. I could work that out later.

> If enough people are interested, maybe I'll
> put them into production. Let me know.

Sorry that I didn't answer to this offer earlier but I'm rebuilding my flat at the moment so I haven't been on the net for a week or so. I think that it was a good gesture to offer the downpipes for sale but I can make a downpipe at work for the cost of the materials only (we make steel chimneys), and i really like the challenge of making my own spares. My only consern is will the pipe stand the heat for very long??.

Why did you go for the AUDI waste gate?? did your turbo preasure creap??

I would like to see pictures of this setup because it sounds interesting.

Brian 83zxt

·
Registered
249 Posts
Re: MANDREL BENT 3" TURBO DOWNPIPE HERE

I have 83' 280zxt and I would love to have three inch mandrel bent down pipe but, I need bung to place my o2 sensor. Let me know if you make one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.