ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...just wanted to see if anybody could help me on my Z. I've finally restored my 73 Z after 2 years and got it out of the garage last night. But after 20 feetof driving it, it started to bind in the suspension. I have an L28, w/5 speed, and a R200 combo. I think it might be the mustache bar or the driveshaft. It might be also something else but don't know. There is no play on the driveshaft. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well.. the problem is that even if you put in neutral, you can't even push it. it was ok when i drove it out the driveway about 25 feet. after that, it started binding. like the suspension was really tight or something. thanks for the response.

·
Registered
320 Posts
hello i dont think your sus. will keep your car from being able to be pushed..did you try to jack up the rear and with the car out of gear turn the wheels by hand ..id say your brakes shiezed up after so long of not driving it...or the differentail??? good luck michele

·
Registered
17 Posts
i agree with Michele. If it is indeed your brakes, and it is more that one, like, say, both of the rear or both of the front brakes, I would venture a guess that it is your brake master cylinder. Also, you did get a R200 mustache bar to go with the rear didn't you?

Tory

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked and bled the brakes before I took her out the garage. I'll double check again but I don't think that might be it. I do have the R200 hundred mustache bar also. Almost everything I put into her was either brand new or rebuilt from front to back. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Is your car really low?

On my '71 with coilovers, I had it REALLY low and found that the drive line was binding. The differential was lower than the stub axles so that the half shafts were angled from the wheels down to the diff. When I raised the car a bit it got better, but the symptom was extreme vibration on acceleration (like a u-joint ready to break), and flopping rumbling while coasting to a stop in nuetral.

Good luck

And Piss-off Tony D, if you find some way to turn this into a blown head gasket joke! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Is your car really low?

Thanks for the response but I finally found out the problem last nite. The problem was I installed my solid differetial mount backwards on the car. This was also my first time installing a solid diff.mount and the R200 conversion. My problem now is..the rear end was push forward so much that I cannot pull out the driveshaft. So currently, that is my problem. I guess my friend was right when he said that "ALL DATSUNS REQUIRES MODIFICATION". But I want to thanks everybody for all their suggestions & comments.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.