ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've checked earlier posts about signal lights not working but my problem is a little different. my signal lights on work if the car is warm. It takes a couple hours of driving around and then they work. but now that its winter they take a whole day to get working. can anyone help me out? 1982 280zx

Thanx

·
Registered
588 Posts
Is it possible? Okay what if the lubricant grease in the switch is really thick when cold and is interfering with the contacts until it has been moved around by clicking the switch a lot.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Got a couple questions to help trace the problem.

I would think that the flasher is the culprit. The way these things work is that the switch at the column closes a circuit that then warms up this little plate inside the flasher, once it gets hot enough, it flaps up and either closes the secondary part of the circuit, or opens it, depending on the initial state of the flasher. Then as it cools down it returns to the original position. If the turn signal switch is still closed at the column the plate warms up again and repeats the cycle. This is what you hear going click tik click tik click tik.

When you say they don't work, do they not light AT ALL until the car has warmed up? or do they go on and stay on but don't blink?
In either case this kind of behavior is specific to the flasher unit. Does the blink rate seem to get faster as the car warms up or does it stay at the same rate?

Next, if you hit your hazard switch do the lights go on right away or are they also subject to the warm up syndrome? If they do go on right away, you can discount some sort of problem with the wiring from the passenger compartment to the lights.

Lastly, you may have a cold solder joint on the column switch that needs to be warmed up for the metal to expand the necessary amount to make a good contact. This may sound far fetched, but the way to check for cold solder joints on a circuit board is to freeze them with a shot of liquid air.

Well, enough for now, check those items out and see if that doesn't fix it.

FWIW

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.