ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was just driving around today and make a right turn into a parking lot and the signal worked and the arrow on the tach blinked then I signal to turn right again and I get nothing. No flashing of the arrow. So i'm like crap. So then I make my way back to school with the turn signals not working however I make another right turn and after the turn, the signals worked again. Then they stop working again when I make a left turn. When I stopped at school I checked my blinkers and they don't work. I should also mention that my tachometer has never worked right. It only goes from ~1500rpm-~3500rpm and never drops to 0 when the engine is switched off. So is there a fuse or does it have something to do with the tachometer? I'm in class now so they may just start working again when I leave hopefully, but then they'll go out when I get down the road......

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm not sure, if it's related to your tach or not, but when my turn signals didn't work I studied the wiring diagrams for a while and decided to check the hazard switch. I'm not sure if it's the same on 280s, but I would guess that all the turn signals are wired through the hazard switch. Since you said that both of them are erratic, I would think it's something on the switch side (either the indicator switch or the hazard switch) rather than the bulb side. You might want to remove your hazard switch and take a look. The contacts may need cleaning.

Hopefully someone w/ more experience can offer more/better advice.

good luck.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
my turn signels where doing pretty much the same thing on my 70 240 they wouldent work (more durning night)they wouldent come on till i had completed the turn then they may flash once i tightend the belt on the altanator and now they work fin so make sure your belt is tight and you are getting enough charg out of the alternator - nothing else was affectedjust the turn signals so it was wierd but this worked for me but there are some good differences between a 78 and a 70 but just double check if your belt to the alternator is tight and your pulling a good charge from it - hope this helps some

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Maybe the grounds in the combo switch are getting bad? If none of the above easy stuff works, take off the ign. swtich cover, and you should be able to see the contacts for the turnsignals. Run some high grit sand paper over the surface where they contact, and spray some contact cleaner on both surfaces...

·
Registered
78 Posts
My blinkers went out a few weeks ago. I cleaned the connections at the switch itself(in the steering column) and at the flasher. It worked fine after that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.