ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my center console apart to fix a crack, and Had to disconnect the switches to get the console out. Now I've put the console back together and hooked up the switches, yes I hooked them all back properly... NO Flashers, NO hazzards! I can hear the relay under the dash make one very faint click, but nothing else.

Any suggestions?

Steve G
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
Hey Steve, I've been fighting with this very problem in my '74 260z. I don't know what it is, but when I played(jiggled them around)with the wires in the console it would fix it. Now that it works I don't plan to mess with it enless I have to pull the console out again. Which will be when I put the radio in next weekend. If I figure something else out I'll shut it your way and vise versa. Not much help, but maybe something to play with. Later
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My brother ran into the same problem with his 78' Z. If I remember correctly It was the inhibitor relay, I think. Maybe check it out. You do have Haynes manuals right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Try this

> I took my center console apart to fix a
> crack, and Had to disconnect the switches to
> get the console out. Now I've put the
> console back together and hooked up the
> switches, yes I hooked them all back
> properly... NO Flashers, NO hazzards! I can
> hear the relay under the dash make one very
> faint click, but nothing else.

> Any suggestions?

> Steve G

This is a real simple circuit, and if we remove the relay, we should have a direct connection from the switch to the lights. So, remove the relay, and splice the two wires together with a double male connector. Sort of a jumper I guess. Then when you turn the switch for a left turn, all the left turn lights should light up, and stay lit. Vice versa for the right side. If this works, then you are isolating the problem, and know it is not the switch or a grounding problem with the lights. Replacing the relay at this point is what I would recommend. I've replaced 3 on my 240Z in the last 2 years. I guess because they are poorly built, and my car is so low it probably vibrates the **** out of it. Ahh, electricity, isn't it great!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
> My brother ran into the same problem with
> his 78' Z. If I remember correctly It was
> the inhibitor relay, I think. Maybe check it
> out. You do have Haynes manuals right?

INHIBITOR RELAY??!!! My car has NO inhibitions! hee hee :)

Thanks actually, I will check out the trusty haynes and fix my cars inhibitions.

BTW, is that the realy beside the turn signal relay?

Steve G
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,158 Posts
Re: Try this

Just a suggestion, but has anyone considered the fusible link? I had the same problem with lights, turn signals & hazards on my '77 280Z & it turned out to be a faulty fusible link directly in front of the battery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,026 Posts
Re: Try this

> Just a suggestion, but has anyone considered
> the fusible link? I had the same problem
> with lights, turn signals & hazards on
> my '77 280Z & it turned out to be a
> faulty fusible link directly in front of the
> battery.

> I had the same problem on my 81 280zx, after days of trouble-shooting, I took apart the hazard switch and found the two finger contacts broken off their posts, I'm not an electrician, so I don't know where power was going, but i superglued the contacts back and it fixed the problem
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top