ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: turboz whats the steps to conert 240 to a t

If you want to just swap the motor and tranny from a 280zxt, everthing just bolts right in. You will need to change the driveshaft. You will also need to get the turbo computer and wiring harness.
My motor is not stock, but it is all the same as far as bolting into your car. You will also need to have the exhaust run from the downpipe to your old exhaust. Unfortunately, I have no experience with the stock computer because I run the electromotive tech II. I would say the motor swap to be pretty easy, but the wiring of the computer can be somewhat challenging from what I have heard, but very doable. I have a homepage developed that I will document with photo's the building of my new engine and its insertion into the car. I want to wait until the engine is installed until I attach the HTML file to my page and release the websight. I want people to be able to see what is involved in building the motor, installing the motor, installing a fuel cell, and converting to CV joints. I will picture document all of this on my page. Hope this helps. My buddy "Boost" ([email protected]) can better explain what is involved in the swap, he has an early 280z with a turbo transplant running 12.5 1/4 mile times. You will never regret doing the swap, feels good to pull up to a new vette and whip him in a race. Not to keep going, but if you could of only seen the look on the guys face who owned a tricked out mustand cobra. He waited for me on the road to race him as he saw me in his rear view mirror. From about a 10mph roll we both gunned it. My car just killed that cobra and I will never forget the look on his face as I pulled away, JAW DROPPED and MOUTH WIDE OPEN. Later!

·
Registered
650 Posts
RE: turboz whats the steps to conert 240 to a turb

You could also do what im doing.

with the help of Ian Lewis from Fresno Auto Sport Tech (FAST). ive put together a custom turbo setup for my 71. my Z already had an L28 transplant, running on duel webers.

what we have done is, bolted a single SU from a 72 onto the turbo and Ian fabricated some adaptors (carb to turbo and turbo to intake). its a direct draw setup, and you are limited to the stock 6-7 lbs of boost due to lack of intercooler, but with this setup and a good tuned engine, flat 14's to high 13's should be no problem on street tires and no other modifications on the engine. (well, i am planning on more mods though, flat 14 is not good enough, i want to be the first Z to run 9's - 10's at battle haha).

you will need something to retard your timing though to avoid detination. an MSD-6BTM will work fine. $250 - $300. and 240zTurbo was right, you will need to have custom piping fab'd from the down pipe to the muffler if your not straight piping it ;) you'll also need to pick up the 280zxt oil pan and oil feed line to the turbo.

All together i spent less than $1000. I could have probably found an aftermarket setup for less, but i didnt have 1000 at one time, and it was a fun project picking the parts up one by one. You'll be amazed what you can find in the local wrecking yard, when you're looking for something totallly different. =)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.