ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
85 Posts
Jesse----I must of really tweeked a nerve a few days back. I was not downing the N/A cars. Just stating dollar for dollar investment for HP that the turbo wins hands down. For approx. $600 you can take a stock turbo and tweek it from 180HP stock to 300-325HP and never need to open up the motor. For a N/A motor to even get close to these #'s you will need to stroke it, put new pistions in it, a big dawg cam, exhaust, ect. You might get close to 300HP but will have a monster that would be undesirable to drive on the street. You can go to about 400-450HP with the turbo and it will still be streetable.
On a side note All Z's strike a note to me and will always be something I own(Turbo or N/A).

· Registered
85 Posts
Jesse----I must of really tweeked a nerve a few days back. I was not downing the N/A cars. Just stating dollar for dollar investment for HP that the turbo wins hands down. For approx. $600 you can take a stock turbo and tweek it from 180HP stock to 300-325HP and never need to open up the motor. For a N/A motor to even get close to these #'s you will need to stroke it, put new pistions in it, a big dawg cam, exhaust, ect. You might get close to 300HP but will have a monster that would be undesirable to drive on the street. You can go to about 400-450HP with the turbo and it will still be streetable.
On a side note All Z's strike a note to me and will always be something I own(Turbo or N/A).

· Registered
85 Posts
Re: Turbo horsepower

Pentastar, yes you are right in that turbo do have lag. Meaning that it does take a little bit before the HP kicks in. Mine usually kicks in about 5-10mph just a few seconds after I floor it. Turbos do lack a little HP and torque at lower rpm's, but this is do to their lower compression ratio. As with turbos they do not need the high compression ratios like N/A engines do to create vacuum for fuel consumption. Turbos motors derive all their HP form the forced induction and flow. You have to remember that with a turbo it forces as much air and fuel into the engine before ignition to create a larger explosion in the cylinder.
All of this also depends on which turbo you are running(stock,T3/T4,62-1). Each of these units will cause turbo lag and depend completely on impeller size and shape to calculate spool up. These turbos along with intercoolers, fuel regulators, exhaust and boost can increase HP in the motor. The most HP that I have heard of yet to come from a turbo Z motor is a 1000, but most of us backyard mechanics will only see 500-600 and when 240turbo gets his done might get to see 600---maybe 650..
There are a few things that can be done internally in the motor on a turbo. The ones that I did mention earlier to Jesse was for the N/A motor. The few internals that can be done would help low end torque a little but is only really done for adding strength and dependablilty once you hit the 400HP mark. Once you pass the 450 mark you will need to do extensive strengthening to the motor for it to survive.

Pentastar, these cars when modified will push some great #s at the drag strip and even at the 300-325HP range. Have yet to hear any 1/4 mile #'s from the guys that have upgraded to the larger turbos, but I imagine they are great for the Z.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.