Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got's 10.1:1 compression
got's dometops
got's headers and 2.5 exhuast
got's e-88 head
got's flatop L28
and nothin else

and it'll run right beside my cousin's 81zxt

who say's you have to have a turbo to play with the big boys.

jesse75z

·
Registered
185 Posts
My kinda guy!

> got's 10.1:1 compression
> got's dometops
> got's headers and 2.5 exhuast
> got's e-88 head
> got's flatop L28
> and nothin else

> and it'll run right beside my cousin's 81zxt

> who say's you have to have a turbo to play
> with the big boys.

> jesse75z

Jesse, you're my kinda guy, but remeber. . .

Your cousins car is a little heavier.

You said your cousins car was stock, in a previous post, so I would hardly consider him a Big Boy.

He's running on a turbo that is getting on up there in years and is probaly not pushing more than 5 psi.(If he is this high.) Not much effectivness at this low of a boost.

He's not running a custom exhaust, or headers.

Is it a 2+2? If so add a little more weight to his car.

Don't think I'm coming down on you man, I'm a big N/A man myself,(3.1 Stoker '82 280ZX.) But you have got an edge on him in more ways than one. Your compresion is what's help you now.

Once your cousin gets the smallest thing done, whether it be intake, exhaust, turbo, compresion, or whatever, he's gonna walk on you. It's gonna take more than a few bolt-ons to beat the Turbo man.

In the mean time, work him over every chance you get and have fun doing it.

Chris Behney
Redline Autosports

·
Registered
107,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fixed your 5000 rpm stalling?

> got's dometops
> got's e-88 head
> got's flatop L28
> and nothin else

Thats pretty good especially if you are
still short shifting at 5000 rpms, just
think you hard you will pull on him when
you can wind it out a little more.

·
Registered
107,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stock????

> You said your cousins car was stock, in a
> previous post, so I would hardly consider
> him a Big Boy.

> He's running on a turbo that is getting on
> up there in years and is probaly not pushing
> more than 5 psi.(If he is this high.) Not
> much effectivness at this low of a boost.

> He's not running a custom exhaust, or
> headers.

When I said stock that means stock as far as we know

see his car usedto be a highway patrol interceptor in florida and has 2.5 exhaust

now weather or not the motor has been through
we don't know but.... it is running a good 4-5+psi when he stands on it. and only has 105xxx miles on it.

none the less it's fast as ****.

jesse75z

·
Registered
355 Posts
> got's dometops
> got's e-88 head
> got's flatop L28
> and nothin else

Hey I am thinking about the same setup, bout how much HP you getting from it? I am thinking about a little higher Compression but using a l24 but having domed Pistons and maybe e-31 or modified e-88. Any idea how much HP i would get from my setup but I would have more headwork done.

Dustin

·
Registered
85 Posts
Jesse----I must of really tweeked a nerve a few days back. I was not downing the N/A cars. Just stating dollar for dollar investment for HP that the turbo wins hands down. For approx. $600 you can take a stock turbo and tweek it from 180HP stock to 300-325HP and never need to open up the motor. For a N/A motor to even get close to these #'s you will need to stroke it, put new pistions in it, a big dawg cam, exhaust, ect. You might get close to 300HP but will have a monster that would be undesirable to drive on the street. You can go to about 400-450HP with the turbo and it will still be streetable.
On a side note All Z's strike a note to me and will always be something I own(Turbo or N/A).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Jesse----I must of really tweeked a nerve a few days back. I was not downing the N/A cars. Just stating dollar for dollar investment for HP that the turbo wins hands down. For approx. $600 you can take a stock turbo and tweek it from 180HP stock to 300-325HP and never need to open up the motor. For a N/A motor to even get close to these #'s you will need to stroke it, put new pistions in it, a big dawg cam, exhaust, ect. You might get close to 300HP but will have a monster that would be undesirable to drive on the street. You can go to about 400-450HP with the turbo and it will still be streetable.
On a side note All Z's strike a note to me and will always be something I own(Turbo or N/A).

·
Registered
529 Posts
"Stock" Z does [email protected]

Here is a short description of my autocross car:

Flat-top pistons in L28 block.
E31 head w/mild street port I did myself.
Stock 240Z valves.
Stock cam.
Stock '71 SU's.
Header.
2.5 exhaust.
3.90:1 LSD.
'82 5-speed.

The car does a 14.2 @ 97 at Famoso Raceway in Bakersfield, Ca. That was w/autocross suspension setup. Performance can be had w/stock parts. I'm sure it would be even quicker w/bigger valves. It doesn't like to spin past about 6500, however, this is a stump-puller, not a high revver.

Ian

·
Registered
62 Posts
Turbo horsepower

Just curious (my Z is NA, never owned a turbo car....yet) when you say turbo mods and stuff like that will get you up to 300 hp, is that horsepower mostly found at the higher rpms, or do you get good increases at lower rpms? If my general feelings are correct, I'm guessing you feel that horsepower after the car starts going, but low end power & torque won't be helped much. And, again, I'm guessing if you do all that internal (pistons, camshaft, etc) you'll get a lot more power in the lower end as well as increased uppper end. I'm not saying I know this, I'm asking if this is accurate? If there really is a big difference, it seems to me it all depends on what kind of car you want, a car that accelerates good from a stop (quarter miler), or a car that you can stomp on it going 35 and take off, but needs to get going a bit from a stop before the power kicks in.

·
Registered
270 Posts
> Jesse----I must of really tweeked a nerve a
> few days back. I was not downing the N/A
> cars. Just stating dollar for dollar
> investment for HP that the turbo wins hands
> down. For approx. $600 you can take a stock
> turbo and tweek it from 180HP stock to
> 300-325HP and never need to open up the
> motor. For a N/A motor to even get close to
> these #'s you will need to stroke it, put
> new pistions in it, a big dawg cam, exhaust,
> ect. You might get close to 300HP but will
> have a monster that would be undesirable to
> drive on the street. You can go to about
> 400-450HP with the turbo and it will still
> be streetable.

I bought a 83ZXT for $300 169,000miles on it, replaced stock turbo with T04/T3 hybrid, starion intercooler, high output fuel pump, adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Right now I'm running about 12psi. This thing is a BEAST now. I get wheelspin at 40mph in 2nd gear when boost peaks. I would estimate 300-325hp. It would take ALOT of $$ to get a car to do this naturally asp.
My 2 cents
Tony
> On a side note All Z's strike a note to me
> and will always be something I own(Turbo or
> N/A).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Re: Turbo horsepower

Pentastar, yes you are right in that turbo do have lag. Meaning that it does take a little bit before the HP kicks in. Mine usually kicks in about 5-10mph just a few seconds after I floor it. Turbos do lack a little HP and torque at lower rpm's, but this is do to their lower compression ratio. As with turbos they do not need the high compression ratios like N/A engines do to create vacuum for fuel consumption. Turbos motors derive all their HP form the forced induction and flow. You have to remember that with a turbo it forces as much air and fuel into the engine before ignition to create a larger explosion in the cylinder.
All of this also depends on which turbo you are running(stock,T3/T4,62-1). Each of these units will cause turbo lag and depend completely on impeller size and shape to calculate spool up. These turbos along with intercoolers, fuel regulators, exhaust and boost can increase HP in the motor. The most HP that I have heard of yet to come from a turbo Z motor is a 1000, but most of us backyard mechanics will only see 500-600 and when 240turbo gets his done might get to see 600---maybe 650..
There are a few things that can be done internally in the motor on a turbo. The ones that I did mention earlier to Jesse was for the N/A motor. The few internals that can be done would help low end torque a little but is only really done for adding strength and dependablilty once you hit the 400HP mark. Once you pass the 450 mark you will need to do extensive strengthening to the motor for it to survive.

Pentastar, these cars when modified will push some great #s at the drag strip and even at the 300-325HP range. Have yet to hear any 1/4 mile #'s from the guys that have upgraded to the larger turbos, but I imagine they are great for the Z.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Similiar to Ian's but mine did 13.4 @101 i 1/4

71 240Z 2.8L, shaved N42 9.8 to 1 compression, SU's,datsun 810 electronic ignition, 3.9 rear, 82 5 speed.Car ran a [email protected] at Rockingham dragway N.C. on street tires and runnin' open header.Knew a guy with a 400 hp turbo 240 Z ran low 12's. Later,norm

·
Registered
185 Posts
Not similiar to Ian's but mine did 13.2 at 110 1/4

> Here is a short description of my autocross
> car:

> Flat-top pistons in L28 block.
> E31 head w/mild street port I did myself.
> Stock 240Z valves.
> Stock cam.
> Stock '71 SU's.
> Header.
> 2.5 exhaust.
> 3.90:1 LSD.
> '82 5-speed.

> The car does a 14.2 @ 97 at Famoso Raceway
> in Bakersfield, Ca. That was w/autocross
> suspension setup. Performance can be had
> w/stock parts. I'm sure it would be even
> quicker w/bigger valves. It doesn't like to
> spin past about 6500, however, this is a
> stump-puller, not a high revver.

> Ian

Ian, that's great. What did you use to do the porting yourself?

I wish I could have seen the looks on the Camaro owners faces in the early 80's, when these new imports pulled up on them, and then walkd away. It must have been great. You know, it's probally no diffrent from the looks we get, when we do it now! :)

Have fun with your car.

Chris Behney
Redline Autosports

·
Registered
529 Posts
Home Porting Techniques

I used an air die grinder and some carbide deburring bits to do my port job. I don't have access to a flow bench, so I didn't get crazy. I concentrated on blending the bowls to seats and seats to combustion chambers. I polished the chambers w/some sanding disks I got from Cylinder Head Abrasives in Sacramento, Ca. I also had a local maching shop do a good 5 angle valve job. That is all you really need for a street port. I also gasket matched the intake to head and installed some dowel pins to align during installation. That's it. I'm sure that the ports don't flow exactly the same but it seems to work. I can't afford to have a professional port job done, so this was my alternative. BTW, my 240Z turbo does a 13.4 @ 107. It has a bone stock L28ET and automatic. I just got another F54 block and P90 head so I will be building a motor for the turbo 240Z soon. I would like to be in the 400 to 500 hp realm like 240turbo. We will see as my budget is not so great. It will take a lot of time.

Ian

·
Registered
185 Posts
Let me know how it turns out.

> I used an air die grinder and some carbide
> deburring bits to do my port job. I don't
> have access to a flow bench, so I didn't get
> crazy. I concentrated on blending the bowls
> to seats and seats to combustion chambers. I
> polished the chambers w/some sanding disks I
> got from Cylinder Head Abrasives in
> Sacramento, Ca. I also had a local maching
> shop do a good 5 angle valve job. That is
> all you really need for a street port. I
> also gasket matched the intake to head and
> installed some dowel pins to align during
> installation. That's it. I'm sure that the
> ports don't flow exactly the same but it
> seems to work. I can't afford to have a
> professional port job done, so this was my
> alternative. BTW, my 240Z turbo does a 13.4
> @ 107. It has a bone stock L28ET and
> automatic. I just got another F54 block and
> P90 head so I will be building a motor for
> the turbo 240Z soon. I would like to be in
> the 400 to 500 hp realm like
> 240turbo. We will see as my
> budget is not so great. It will take a lot
> of time.

> Ian

Great time. Turbo really helps you tear up the back halk of the track, I bet. I get all of my speed up at the begining, and pull off on most everything I have ever run, and then imake them catch me, in the back half.

The only cars I have seen walk away from me out of the hole, are an NSX,(Should have kept my mouth shut. But he let me keep my money. What a nice guy), a 470 horsepower '96 300ZXTT(Once again, mouth got carried away), and a Twin Turbo RX-7(got lucky!). I admire Turbo cars for their absolutly, Bahn-Storming acceleration in the high rpm, but I just havn't been convinced enough to go the turbo route yet.

How much does the 240 weigh compared to the 280ZX that the motor came in. We think the power:weight ratio is good in a turbo ZX, I guess in the 240, it's multiplied!

Kinda makes me think about getting a turbo motor. Man I hate it when these ieas get into my head. (The are alwasy so expensive to get rid of!)

Chris Behney
Reline Autosports

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.