ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have an '79 NA 280zx. I want more power...I want a turbo. :) I have looked into this before and had mixed comments. Some say it is dangerous and you shouldn't. Others say you can run ~5 psi safely on a stock L28E without danger. So, I want your opinions. Is it safe to turbocharge this motor? Also, what all would I need? Fuel pump, ecu, turbo, intake manifold, downpipe, afm. Anything else?

·
Super Moderator
41,003 Posts
Sure...

It's called the L28ET.
Anybody telling you it's not safe is misinformed.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I agree with Tony. To do it right you're going to want to take the motor apart and put in some nice dished pistons. You need a P90 head, which only came on the turbo model, well I guess you don't "need" one but they are best for turbocharging, Nissan got it right. You are going to have to change manifolds, afm, ecu and wiring, exhaust. There are quite a few things needed to get the job done right so that you don't have major problems or a short lived engine. The easiest, best way to go is to find a turbo donor car or just get another car period.
Happy wrenching.

C.Wade

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wasn't planning on swapping the head or pistons. I was curious if it was safe to run a turbo on my car as-is, just change the intake manifold and all other neccessary things. I know I wouldn't be getting the maximum performance increase without the head and pistons, but is it safe to run on my car?

·
Registered
62 Posts
hey, it just so happends that i have a complete turbo setup sitting in my garage. i have everything including wiring(except one injector). i was wanting around 400obo plus shipping for everything. this does not include a head, but i will throw in a damaged(probably repairable, needs a couple valves, may be warped, and probably needs some welding) p90 head if you want it also. if you are interested e-mail me

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you like the 280ZX, you would be much better off finding a decent 280ZX Turbo car. I realize that you might really like your car, but there is a lot more to turbocharging that car than just slapping on a Turbo.

I love 240Z cars, so I wnt through the exhausting task (no pun intended) of fitting a L28 Turbocharged engine, ECU, wiring, Exhaust, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc into it.

But if I liked the 280ZX body style, interior and handling, I would never have gone through the hassle of converting a car equipped with a N/A powerplant/electronics to a Turbocharged powerplant.

I would simply find a nice 280ZX Turbo. There is a lot more that went into that ZXT than meets the eye. The suspension, wheels, guages and many other things in the ZXT are nicer/stronger/better than what came standard on the N/A cars.

Just my .02

Chas

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
go ahead and do it..i have turboed a 71 240z using 77 280z ecu and harness on a 83 non turbo engine...p79 head and f54 flattop piston block...no detonation no problems period!...all the skeptics told me it cant be done..but with some help from the experts..(jim and his brother in florida)..the car was awsome!

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
From reading posts, I feel you can boost a NA to the 5 lb. you asked about, but
that is far from the potental of a Turbo motor of 10+ lb. of boost.
You are looking at a lot of work to T a NA.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Of course it will work. It's more work than a motor transplant. You will have a hard time running less boost than stock though (7 psi), unless you invest in an aftermarket wastegate - but if you ask me, why buy a wastegate to run LESS boost. Do it, and run stock 7psi, you will have no problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.