ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to put in a 280zx turbo or 300zx turbo motor.I would appreciate any help finding components for one of these swaps.I would also appreciate any suggestions about how to put in the wiring harness and where to put thecomputer.Thank
you.

·
Registered
529 Posts
> I would like to put in a 280zx turbo or
> 300zx turbo motor.I would appreciate any
> help finding components for one of these
> swaps.I would also appreciate any
> suggestions about how to put in the wiring
> harness and where to put thecomputer.Thank
> you.

I also have a '71 240 which I have put a 280ZXT motor in. This is an easier swap than the 300ZXT motor since it is the same block and head configuration as the L24 motor. There are no problems to consider when installing an L28ET motor in the 240Z. However, if you want real power, an intercooler is mandatory and plumbing for it will have to be custom. I am currently using the '81280ZXT fuel injection, however it is an antiquated system and there are some problems w/it. I would recomend either calling Jim Wolf and have him set you up w/an 84 300ZXT computer system, or go to an aftermarket DFI. DFI is cool, but expensive to calibrate as a dyno is usually required. The Stealth Z @ zhome.com is using Accel DFI and making over 400 horsepower w/a stock block and head. This is also possible w/the 300ZXT system, but everytime you upgrade something, you will need a new chip from JWT. Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go? Consider this, I am working on a turbo system for a '72 240Z that will use the stock carburators and intake manifold. The turbo will pressurize the carbs. This was common practice in the old days and it works just fine. A little water or alcohol injection and you have a screamer. Get the book Turbochargers by Hugh McInnes. It is an old book, but it is the turbo bible. There is a lot of info on turbocharging w/carbs. Anyway, sorry about the book I'm writing, however here are my suggestions:
1) Don't use the 280ZXT fuel injection.
2) consider using carbs
3) Get the compression ratio of the motor up to 8.3 or so instead of the aweful 7.4.
Need more info? e-mail me @ [email protected]
Good Luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.