ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a 78 Z I am attempting to turbocharge it. I took a community ed. class and rebuilt a 83 280zx engine and sent the turbo off for a rebuild, I have

stock (78) fuel injection and ignition, I used the ZX exhaust manifold and plumed the stock (78) throddle body, intake manifold, injectors, mass air

flow sensor ect.

The car is not running yet. I Know I will need additional fuel under boost and possibly an upgraded ignition system. Does anyone have any

suggestions and what to use and where to get it?

Has anyone done anything like this before any words of wisdom?

·
Registered
529 Posts
> have a 78 Z I am attempting to turbocharge
> it. I took a community ed. class and rebuilt
> a 83 280zx engine and sent the turbo off for
> a rebuild, I have

> stock (78) fuel injection and ignition, I
> used the ZX exhaust manifold and plumed the
> stock (78) throddle body, intake manifold,
> injectors, mass air

> flow sensor ect.

> The car is not running yet. I Know I will
> need additional fuel under boost and
> possibly an upgraded ignition system. Does
> anyone have any

> suggestions and what to use and where to get
> it?

> Has anyone done anything like this before
> any words of wisdom?

See my previous post regarding I need a turbo. You will need to contact Vortech Engineering or Paxton Products and get what they call an FMU. This is a device that bumps up the fuel pressure under boost. They use it on their supercharger systems. For ignition, I recomend an MSD 6-BTM. This is a capacitive discharge system that retards timing under boost. It is adjustable from 1 to 3 degrees retard for every lb of boost. Make sure that your injectors are in perfect working order. You may want to go with 280ZX Turbo injectors. Also, you will need a high flow fuel pump. The stock pump just won't cut it. I am using a pump sold by Nitrous Oxide Systems. I also recomend installing a 1/2 line from the pump to the fuel rail. If you can, fabricate some sort of high flow fuel rail as well. The stock one is pretty restrictive. Remember, on a turbo motor, fuel is everything. If it leans out once, that new motor of yours will be a molten pile of iron and aluminum. E-mail me with any other questions. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!! [email protected]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.