ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so my car has the turbo badge. which does not necessarily mean there is a turbo. i know that much. i also know there is supposed to be an emergency release valve on the intake manifoldin case of too much boost. am i supposed to be able to see the turbo with the hood popped? or is it tucked up under the engine?am i supposed to be able to see it when i am lying under the car or is it under the rock and debris sheild? how else can i tell if it is a turbo or not?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Well when you drive it, you should hear the turbo spool up if you have one.

Also- Turbo models came with 5 lug wheels, a wing, and a hood scoop..

Non-turbo models came with 4 lug wheels and no wing and no hood scoop.

The only way I know of seeing the turbo is from underneath the car but I don't know if there is a shield blocking the view.

Post Edited (Jun 20, 8:14pm)

·
Registered
50 Posts
yeah with my 84 300zx ya cant see the turbo just looking into the hood, but when ya drive it, you can hear it(a great sound by the way...i love hearing a turbo :). but i havent ventured under the car to see if you can see it there so idk. another thing, idk if this is right, most likely isnt but does it have an accelerometer? i'm not sure if non turbos have it...i just know my turbo does, so who knows, ask someone who knows more then me haha

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Just follow the intake piping from the filter. You will either see it enter the turbo, or go straight to the Throttle body.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Just because your car has a turbo badge doesn't mean it really is a turbo model. The car's previous owner could have bought the turbo badge and stuck it on.

Since you have doubts whether your car really does have a turbo: Your car may be a factory turbo model or an N.A. model that was modified by the car's previous owner to include a turbo. Go to www.az-zbum.com and decode the VIN no. Decoding the VIN no. is the litmus test that reveals a car's true identity.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
I agree with Dave

·
Registered
782 Posts
Well is alternator on the drivers side or passanger side if it is a non turbo it will be on the drivers side.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
My 87 N/a had the alt. on the pass. side, and 5 lug wheels. My 87 turbo now has the engine "cover" the only say 3000 in the center. I personally can see my turbo when I look under the hood, but it's kinda hard to see if you don't know what one looks like. Many people plug the POV, because it is a nusance. The Turbo model should have a boost guage in the dash, and once again you should hear the turbo (sounds kinda like a tiny jet engine under the hood.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.