ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.....i have heard both good and bad things about both turbos and superchargers. what is better? what is easier to install? what is better for power and easier on the engine itself

Joe

·
Registered
529 Posts
First of all, speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Keep in mind that the 280ZX Turbo manifolds and turbo work on any L6 (provided you have the correct compression ratio) and isn't that hard to install. With all of the aftermarket turbo stuff out these days, the options are almost endless.
As far as superchargers, there is only one kit that I know of and that is the one Jim Cook Racing sells. If there are any others out there, let me know. Now, ultimately, the amount of horsepower you can make w/ this blower setup is limited by its size. You can't change the size of a blower like you can a turbo.

A positive displacement blower provides instant boost and throttle response. However, a turbo does not. No matter what, a turbo will have some lag due to inertia.

Niether is easy on the motor. Both will increase wear. Especially if you're running lots of boost. The turbo will probably be easier on the motor because it doesn't require horsepower to turn it like a supercharger does.

What is easier to install? Well, in my opinion, the supercharger is easier. This is because you don't have to change your exhaust (you do, however, need a header and at least 2.5 system). The turbo system requries some fabrication, especially if you want an intercooler or you use fuel injection. If you go to fuel injection on a non-injected Z, you will need to mount a new fuel pump, a different pickup in the tank, larger feed lines, and all of the system wiring, which can be a hassle. However, after all is said and done, the turbo setup is worth it. How many guys do you know have turbo's on their Z and how many have blowers? I'd be willing to bet that it's a 4 or 5 to one ratio. This should tell you something. And it's not that the supercharger setup is not good, just limited.

However, no matter which route you take, be prepared to spend lots of money. You will need a very strong L6 to be able to handle the power increase. Building up an L6 isn't cheap. If I'm right, forged pistons are about $100 each. And that's just the beginning.

But, take it from someone who has a turbo 240Z, its worth it no matter which you choose. BOOST IS FUN!!!!
Please, anyone else, I would love to hear other thoughts on this.

Regards,

Ian

> Ok.....i have heard both good and bad things
> about both turbos and superchargers. what is
> better? what is easier to install? what is
> better for power and easier on the engine
> itself

> Joe

·
Registered
105 Posts
> Clifford Performance also make a supercharger for the Z. It's a nice looking unit that bolts right to the head where the intake manifold is now.
Do you know how much that Jim Cook Racing supercharger costs,or where I can get info on it.
Thanks.
PAUL

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much is the clifford unit?

$$$?????
I have their catalog and it doesn't say anything
about it.

> Do you know how much that Jim Cook Racing
> supercharger costs,or where I can get info
> on it.
> Thanks.
> PAUL

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: How much is the clifford unit?

I think it is around $4000.00

Eric

> $$$?????
> I have their catalog and it doesn't say
> anything
> about it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Re: PHONE # OR URL FOR CLIFORD, PLEASE!!!!

Sorry I had just seen their catalog, I don't have their phone number but I know they do have a website. Price unknown. Probably a butt load

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
WWW.CLIFFORDPERFORMANCE.COM

N/C

> Sorry I had just seen their catalog, I don't
> have their phone number but I know they do
> have a website. Price unknown. Probably a
> butt load

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.